Showing 84 results

Geauthoriseerde beschrijving

Nipissing University. Office of Integrated Marketing and Communications

  • NUCCASC-AR0004
  • Instelling
  • [19--]-

The Office of Integrated Marketing and Communications is responsible for the development and management of marketing, communications, and recruitment strategies for Nipissing University. The Office is responsible for issuing press releases, publishing marketing materials, website design, and brand development.

Nipissing University. Schulich School of Education

  • NUCCASC-AR0006
  • Instelling
  • 1973-

The Schulich School of Education is Nipissing University's school of education. It was established as Nipissing College's Faculty of Education when North Bay Teachers' College was merged with Nipissing College in August 1973. The Faculty of Education was renamed the Schulich School of Education in 2010 following a $15 million donation to the university by Seymour Schulich.

North Bay & District Historical Society

  • NUCCASC-AR0048
  • Instelling
  • 1964-1967?

The North Bay & District Historical Society was a local history organization in North Bay that was affiliated with the Ontario Historical Society. The Society was founded in November 1964 and the date it disbanded is unknown, although the last meeting recorded in the minute book was held on March 21, 1967.

Pennock, George

  • NUCCASC-AR0008
  • Persoon
  • 1914-

George Pennock was a student from North Bay, Ontario who attended North Bay Normal School in 1932-1933.

Pasko, Stan

  • NUCCASC-AR0010
  • Persoon
  • 1936-2011

Stan Joseph Pasko was a Professor in the Faculty of Education at Nipissing University. Pasko was born on February 23, 1936 in Fort William, Ontario, the son of John and Anna Pasko. In 1955-1956 he trained to be a teacher at North Bay Teachers' College. After graduation, Pasko taught at elementary schools in Fort William and Kingston, and was a principal in Atikokan, Ontario. During this period he continued his education part time through the University of Western Ontario and the University of Toronto, eventually receiving his Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Education, and Master of Arts degrees. He completed his doctorate in Mathematics Education at the University of Ottawa in 1977. From 1974 to 1990, Pasko was a professor in the Faculty of Education at Nipissing University.

In 1974 Pasko returned to North Bay after being hired as an Assistant Professor in the Faculty of Education at Nipissing College. He eventually became an Associate Professor, and remained a faculty member at Nipissing until his retirement in 1990. Pasko died on August 14, 2011 in Thunder Bay, ON.

Junior Red Cross (North Bay Teachers' College)

  • NUCCASC-AR0011
  • Instelling
  • [192-]-[after 1956]

The Junior Red Cross was a student service organization at North Bay Teachers' College. It was a branch of the Junior Red Cross organization, which was founded in Geneva in 1919 as the youth arm of the international humanitarian Red Cross movement. Branches of the Junior Red Cross were established around the world and had as a common goal the promotion for youth of health, citizenship, community service, and international understanding. In Canada, branches were mainly established in primary school classrooms under the guidance of teachers. Canadian teacher training institutions also set up Junior Red Cross branches, including North Bay Normal School/Teachers' College. The dates of the establishment and dissolution of the North Bay Teachers' College branch are unknown.

Gould, Maitland Goldwin

  • NUCCASC-AR0046
  • Persoon
  • 1907-1980

Maitland Goldwin Gould was a judge who served in North Bay and Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. Gould was born on April 17, 1907 in North Bay. In 1912, his family built and moved to a cobblestone house on Queen Street on the shores of Lake Nipissing by the current Amelia Park, and it was there that he acquired his taste for swimming, canoeing, water sports, and outdoor life in general. He attended McIntyre Street School up to Grade 7, walking four miles a day in the process. During the years 1918 and 1919, his family moved several times throughout the United States and ended up in Edmonton where he graduated from elementary school. One of his teachers in Edmonton, who was named Mr. Davidson, got him interested in bird study, a hobby which he continued for the rest of his life. In June 1920, the family moved from Edmonton to Bowmanville, Ontario where his father opened a law practice. Gould completed five years of secondary school at Bowmanville High School, where he met his future wife, Dorothy Bonnycastle. During his years at high school, he was a track champion, debating captain, participant in several drama productions, a member of the soccer team, and graduated with a scholarship in Classics.

Following high school, Gould attended University College at the University of Toronto where he was awarded a silver medal in lifesaving, played a lot of squash, and dabbled in art and sketching. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Classics in 1929 and was awarded the Edward Blake scholarship and the McCaul Medal for the highest standing in Classics. Following that, he entered Osgoode Hall Law School and was called to the bar in 1932. He returned for a year to Bowmanville, where Dorothy had begun teaching at Bowmanville High School following her graduation from the University of Toronto. In May 1933, he returned to North Bay and joined the law firm of John H. McDonald, a former law partner of his father's. He joined the Ezylyfe Canoe Club, the Rotary Club, Nipissing Lodge, and the North Bay Ski Club.

In 1937, Gould was appointed relieving magistrate to fill in for the northern magistrates during their summer holidays. He travelled to many northern communities such as Timmins, Kirkland Lake, and Haileybury, and this helped develop his lifelong interest in the North. In August 1939, he married Dorothy and they settled in North Bay where they raised three children over 32 years of marriage. He continued to practise law in North Bay and was appointed permanent magistrate for the District of Nipissing in 1942, with the privilege of continuing his law practice. He also served as Juvenile Court Judge for the District of Nipissing. He became the senior partner in the law firm of Gould Birnie & McMillan and was awarded Queen's Counsel in 1965. As his work became much heavier, Judge Gould removed himself from his law practice to devote his attention to the position of magistrate.

During this time in North Bay, Gould was very involved in the community, serving on many boards such as the North Bay District School Board, the Police Commission, and the Library Board. He continued to develop his unwavering interest in birds, and began to keep meticulous records of all his sightings in the North Bay area as well as on any trips the family took across Canada, the far north, and the United States. For most of his life, Gould was an avid naturalist and bird watcher who kept extremely detailed records of all personal sightings as well as weather observations since the late 1930s. He also had a great interest in the Arctic and travelled extensively in the eastern Arctic, Northwest Territories, and Alaska. He maintained his cottage on Trout Lake even after his move to Sault Ste. Marie, and went out in his canoe most summer evenings to observe wildlife. He also maintained a cottage at Bright Lake in the Thessalon area, visiting it most weekends in the fall, winter, and spring in order to keep records of wildlife sightings in that area.

In 1968, Gould was appointed District Court Judge for the District of Algoma, which required a permanent move to Sault Ste. Marie. His wife Dorothy passed away in December of 1971 and he continued to sit on the bench in Sault Ste. Marie until his death on October 17, 1980. A tribute to Judge Gould was printed in a Canada Law Book publication in 1982 titled "Division of Matrimonial Assets in Ontario." It stated: "Judge Gould was appointed to the District Court of the District of Algoma. He was everything a judge should be. He knew the law and he was content to apply it and not make it. He was polite to counsel and it pained him when counsel were less than polite to each other. He was a Gentleman of the Old School. Judge Gould approached matters with a clarity of thought that sent counsel away wondering why they had ever thought a case was complicated. His ability to deal with issues of credibility and to assess witnesses was unmatched ... Judge Gould's personal notes (of each case) contained the truest summary of the evidence..... His death has removed a Judge of the classic mould."

[Biographical sketch by Nancy Elliott, November 2014]

North Bay Teachers' College

  • NUCCASC-AR0005
  • Instelling
  • 1909-1973

North Bay Teachers’ College was a training school for teachers in North Bay, Ontario. The college was founded in 1909 and was originally called the North Bay Normal School (the name derives from the teaching “norms” or standards upon which education was based at the time). The North Bay Normal School was the seventh normal school to be established in the province, and the first and only school to be established in Northern Ontario. Through the completion of a one-year course at the school, students (mostly recent high school graduates) could become qualified teachers. The school was located in downtown North Bay at 168 First Avenue West in a two-storey brick building, and was initially headed by A.C. Casselman, principal from 1909 to 1930.

In 1953, the North Bay Normal School was renamed North Bay Teachers' College after a decision by the Department of Education to rename the normal schools to better reflect their purpose as institutions for the professional education of teachers. In September 1972 the college moved from its downtown location to the College Education Centre (today Nipissing University and Canadore College's North Bay campus), which had just been built to house it and three other local colleges: Nipissing College, Canadore College, and Saint Joseph's School of Nursing.

On 1 September 1973, North Bay Teachers' College was formally integrated into Nipissing University College, becoming the new Faculty of Education and ceasing operation as an independent institution.

Lady Patricia Ladies Orange Benevolent Association No. 256

  • NUCCASC-AR0019
  • Instelling
  • 1918-[after 1954]

Lady Patricia Ladies Orange Benevolent Association No. 256 was a primary (local) lodge of the women's auxiliary of the Orange Order, a Protestant fraternal organization, in North Bay, Ontario. The lodge was named in honour of Princess Patricia of Connaught, a granddaughter of Queen Victoria, and its first meeting was on March 30, 1918. Like the male lodges of the Orange Order, Ladies Orange Benevolent Association lodges had a Masonic-style structure and system of degrees, and its members took part in charitable and social activities. It is unknown when Lady Patricia Ladies Orange Benevolent Association No. 256 was disbanded, but records indicate it was active until at least the mid 1950s.

Loyal Orange District Lodge of Nipissing East

  • NUCCASC-AR0031
  • Instelling
  • 1911-[after 1968]

The Loyal Orange District Lodge of Nipissing East was a district lodge of the Orange Order, a Protestant fraternal organization, which had jurisdiction over primary (local) lodges in the present-day Parry Sound District. The District Lodge was founded in 1911 following a resolution by the Loyal Orange County Lodge of Nipissing East to establish three district lodges for the North, South, and East Nipissing areas.

The District Lodge had jurisdiction over the Orange Order's District of Nipissing East, which covered the area to the south and east of Lake Nipissing, from Arnstein at its western boundary to Chisholm in the east, and from Callander in the north to Trout Creek in the south. The following primary (local) lodges were under the jurisdiction of the Loyal Orange District Lodge of Nipissing East: Loyal Orange Lodge No. 429 (Callander), No. 758 (Powassan), No. 812 (Nipissing), No. 1172 (Trout Creek), No. 1323 (Chisholm), No. 1938 (Restoule), No. 2888 (Golden Valley), and No. 3015 (Arnstein). The membership of the District Lodge was made up of Orangemen from its primary lodges, who took turns hosting the Lodge's annual meetings. It is unknown when the District Lodge was disbanded.

Northeastern University Committee

  • NUCCASC-AR0035
  • Instelling
  • 1959-1960

The Northeastern University Committee was a volunteer organization that advocated for the establishment of a junior university in North Bay. In March 1958, a committee was set up by the North Bay Chamber of Commerce that included representatives from the municipal councils of North Bay, Ferris, and Widdifield, as well as from local organizations. The committee built on the efforts of an earlier committee in 1947 that had also investigated the possibility of founding a university in North Bay.

In September 1958, the committee received a proposal from the Congregation of the Resurrection, a local religious order, offering funds, teaching staff, and facilities for the provision of first year university courses at North Bay College (a Catholic boy’s high school, also known as Scollard Hall) until a proper university campus could be established. The committee accepted the offer and pledged to establish an advisory board known as the Northeastern University Committee, which had its inaugural meeting on February 18, 1959. The Committee had an initial membership of 114 men and women, who were drawn from various religious, educational, professional, and cultural backgrounds and represented the area of northeastern Ontario that the proposed new university would serve, an area bounded by Timmins, Capreol, Bracebridge, and Mattawa. The Committee worked to establish either a non-denominational university or a federated university (with a non-denominational board of governors) made up of multiple denominational colleges, this federated structure being inspired by that of the Universities of Toronto, Waterloo, and Windsor.

The Committee decided to incorporate in order to be eligible to apply for a university charter. On June 9, 1960 Northeastern University was officially incorporated under letters patent, and the members and Executive Council of the Northeastern University Committee transferred to the new corporation.

Brown, Herb

  • NUCCASC-AR0036
  • Persoon
  • [192-]-2015

Herb Brown was a prominent North Bay businessman and the founder/owner of the H.E. Brown Supply Company Limited. His parents were Jewish immigrants from Poland who settled in North Bay, where Brown was raised and to which he returned after serving in the Second World War, establishing the H.E. Brown Supply Company Limited, an automotive and industrial supply business, in 1947. He was very active in the community and was a member of the Board of Governors of Nipissing University for nearly twenty years, serving as Vice-Chairman from 1967 to 1976, and Chairman from 1976 to 1985. He was also Secretary of the Executive Council of the Northeastern University Committee, a founding member of Northeastern University's Board of Directors, and Chairman of the St. Joseph's Hospital Board. Brown died on March 26, 2015.

Kyle, Buck

  • NUCCASC-AR0049
  • Persoon
  • [19--]-[19--]

Buck Kyle was a counsellor with the Federal Business Development Bank's Counselling Assistance to Small Enterprises (CASE) program who worked in northern Ontario.

The Sisters of the Precious Blood

  • NUCCASC-AR0073
  • Instelling
  • 1861-

The Sisters of the Precious Blood are a contemplative, cloistered religious community of the Catholic Church. The Sisters currently have four active monasteries across Canada. They had a monastery in North Bay, Ontario from 1936 to 2007.

Blackbourn, Anthony

  • NUCCASC-AR0076
  • Persoon
  • [19--]-2002

Anthony Blackbourn was a Professor of Geography and the second President of Nipissing University (1983-1990). As President, Blackbourn was responsible for initiating Nipissing University College's charter bid to become a degree-granting university, which it received under his successor, Dave Marshall. Blackbourn taught at Nipissing University as a Professor of Geography until his death in 2002.

Surtees, Bob

  • NUCCASC-AR0045
  • Persoon
  • 1941-2001

Bob Surtees was a Professor of History and founding faculty member of Nipissing University. Robert J. Surtees was born on January 15, 1941 and moved to North Bay with his family at the age of 13. His parents Robert Manion Surtees and Annie Ellen Luella (McCarthy) Surtees were educators and both taught at North Bay Teachers’ College.

After completing a Master of Arts degree at Carleton University, Surtees worked for two years as a high school teacher before securing a position as Assistant Professor in 1967 at the newly-established Nipissing College. In 1983, he received his doctorate from Carleton University and was subsequently promoted to full Professor. For 34 years he taught history at Nipissing College/University, where he was also involved in the Faculty Association, Senate, and Board of Governors. His research interests included First Nations history (with a focus on treaties and land claims, subjects on which he provided consulting services) and local history. He authored several books, including <i>The Original People</i> (1971) and <i>The Northern Connection: Ontario Northland Since 1902</i> (1992).

Surtees was active in the community and served as President of the Ontario Historical Association and as Chairman of the Education Quality and Accountability Office. He was also coach of the Nipissing University basketball team, advisor to the Nipissing University Drama Club, and involved with the North Bay and Area Museum, North Bay Tennis Club, Knights of Columbus, and the Nipissing District Progressive Conservative Party. Surtees died on August 25, 2001.

Nipissing University. Board of Governors

  • NUCCASC-AR0013
  • Instelling
  • 1967-

The Board of Governors of Nipissing College is one of the two governing bodies of Nipissing University, the other being the Academic Senate. The Board was established in 1967, and was initially made up mostly of members of the former Executive Council of Northeastern University. When the College was granted a university charter in 1992, the <i>Nipissing University Act</i> established the Board of Governors as one of the two legislative branches of Nipissing University’s bicameral governance system.

Northeastern University

  • NUCCASC-AR0042
  • Instelling
  • 1960-1967

Northeastern University was a nascent institution of higher learning in North Bay which later became Nipissing College. In 1959, the Northeastern University Committee, a volunteer organization founded in North Bay to advocate for the establishment of a local junior university, decided to incorporate in order to be eligible to apply for a university charter. Northeastern University was officially incorporated under letters patent on 9 June 1960, with the members and Executive Council of Northeastern University Committee transferring to the new corporation.

In 1960-1961, Northeastern University offered first year university courses in Arts, Science, and Commerce at North Bay College (a Catholic boys' high school in North Bay, also known as Scollard Hall) through an agreement with the Congregation of the Resurrection, the religious order that ran the school. This arrangement lasted only one year, however, before the Congregation of the Resurrection decided to cancel the partnership.

The establishment of Laurentian University in Sudbury in 1960 was a major setback for Northeastern University, and its application to the Ontario Ministry of Education for a degree-granting university charter was subsequently denied on February 28, 1961. In response, Northeastern began exploring the possibility of affiliation with Laurentian University, which would enable university courses to be offered in North Bay. In the meantime, Northeastern University leased Cassellholme Home for the Aged, a former retirement home on Cassells Street, and arranged for Laurentian University professors to teach extension night classes there starting in 1962. In February 1967, Northeastern University signed an affiliation agreement with Laurentian University, clearing the way for a wider program of courses to be offered in North Bay and for teaching faculty to be hired. As an affiliation agreement between two universities was not allowed, Northeastern University officially changed its name to Nipissing College under supplementary letters patent on April 4, 1967

Cambrian College. North Bay Campus

  • NUCCASC-AR0038
  • Instelling
  • 1967-1972

Cambrian College's North Bay Campus was a satellite campus of the Sudbury-based Cambrian College of Applied Arts and Technology, and the predecessor to Canadore College. The campus was opened in July 1967 in downtown North Bay in the Queen Victoria School on Worthington Street. Growing enrolment quickly necessitated a move to a larger permanent facility and, following the purchase of land in the northwest part of North Bay, Cambrian College entered into negotiations with three other local colleges (Nipissing College, Saint Joseph's School of Nursing, and North Bay Teachers' College) with the aim of building a multi-college facility. Construction of the new campus facility, known as the College Education Centre, began in September 1970 under the management of Cambrian College. Before moving to the new campus, however, the North Bay Campus was separated from Cambrian College and became an independent college known as Canadore College of Applied Arts and Technology in September 1972.

Nipissing University. Senate

  • NUCCASC-AR0040
  • Instelling
  • 1973-

The Senate is one of the two governing bodies of Nipissing University (the other being the Board of Governors), and is responsible for academic policy. Originally, when it was an affiliated college of Laurentian University of Sudbury, Nipissing College's academic programs were overseen by Laurentian's Senate, of which Nipissing College's Principal/President George Zytaruk was a member. In 1973, Nipissing College established a Senate of its own, which was bound by the terms of the affiliation agreement to ensure that the College's academic programs were congruent with those of Laurentian University. When Nipissing College received its university charter in 1992 and became Nipissing University, the Nipissing University Act re-established the Senate as one of the two branches of governance of the new University.

North Bay Community Concert Association

  • NUCCASC-AR0015
  • Instelling
  • 1943-1984

The North Bay Community Concert Association was a volunteer organization which organized regular concert series of professional live music in North Bay. Founded in 1943, the Association was one of many such community concert associations in Canada and the US which organized concerts through a partnership with the New York-based booking agency Columbia Artists Management Incorporated and its subsidiaries. Community concert associations would hold annual membership campaigns, requiring members to purchase prepaid subscriptions to the year’s concerts. With the funds raised, the associations would rent a concert venue and book artists through Columbia Artists Management Incorporated, which was responsible for making all other concert arrangements and for providing pre-printed concert programs and publicity material. This “organized audience” program allowed volunteer groups in smaller cities and towns to engage major Canadian and international artists for local concerts which would not otherwise have been financially viable.

The North Bay Community Concert Association usually sponsored four members-only concerts each year, predominantly featuring classical music, but occasionally folk music, musical theatre, and dance. Some of the more well-known artists who performed in North Bay included the Von Trapp Family Singers, de Paur’s Infantry Chorus, the baritone Todd Duncan, contralto Portia White, soprano Camilla Williams, and pianist Lillian Kallir. Local musicians were only rarely featured. At its peak in the 1960s and 1970s, the Association had between 1000 and 1500 members. Concerts were held in the auditorium of North Bay Collegiate Institute and Vocational School (later renamed Algonquin Composite) until 1959, when they were moved to the Capitol Theatre. In 1980, the Theatre’s owner cancelled their agreement with the Association, forcing it to move the concerts to the auditorium of West Ferris Secondary School, which did not prove adequate. Faced with a lack of a proper venue together with a dwindling membership, the Association voted to disband on 10 September 1984.

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 876 (North Bay)

  • NUCCASC-AR0017
  • Instelling
  • 1888-1999?

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 876 was a Protestant fraternal organization in North Bay, Ontario. A primary (or local) lodge of the Orange Order, Lodge No. 876 was the first to be established in North Bay, receiving its warrant from the Loyal Orange Institution of British North America on March 15, 1888. Lodges of the Orange Order provided social events and mutual aid to their members, and had a Masonic-style organizational structure and system of degrees. Active for over one hundred years, Lodge No. 876 was dissolved around 1999 after a long decline in membership.

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 758 (Powassan)

  • NUCCASC-AR0021
  • Instelling
  • 1889?-[after 1958]

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 758 was a Protestant fraternal organization in Powassan, Ontario. A primary (or local) lodge of the Orange Order, it is unknown exactly when Lodge No. 758 was first established. Orange Order lodges provided their members with social events and mutual aid, and had a Masonic-style organizational structure and system of degrees. It is unknown when Lodge No. 758 was disbanded, though an annual return indicates that it was still active with 10 members at the end of 1957.

King George Loyal Orange Lodge No. 2189

  • NUCCASC-AR0025
  • Instelling
  • [before 1942]-[after 1955]

King George Loyal Orange Lodge No. 2189 was a Protestant fraternal organization in North Bay, Ontario. Lodges of the Orange Order provided social events and mutual aid to their members, and had a Masonic-style organizational structure and system of degrees. It is unknown when the lodge was founded or disbanded.

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 1682 (Four Mile Lake)

  • NUCCASC-AR0026
  • Instelling
  • 1929?-1975?

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 1682 was a Protestant fraternal organization at Four Mile Lake in North Bay, Ontario. Lodges of the Orange Order provided social events and mutual aid to their members, and had a Masonic-style organizational structure and system of degrees. It is unknown exactly when Loyal Orange Lodge No. 1682 was founded or disbanded.

Canadore College. School of Environmental Studies and Biotechnology

  • NUCCASC-AR0032
  • Instelling
  • 2012-

Canadore College's School of Environmental Studies and Biotechnology was founded in 2012. Previous to this, programs related to biotechnology and environmental studies were offered by Canadore's School of Health Sciences.

Trusler, J. W.

  • NUCCASC-AR0034
  • Persoon
  • 1898-1975

J. W. Trusler was Public School Inspector for Nipissing District No. 5 and was leader of the campaign that led to the establishment of Nipissing College. John Wallace "Jack" Trusler was born on December 20, 1898 in Camlachie in Lambton County, Ontario. He trained as a teacher at Stratford Normal School (1917) and later completed Bachelor of Arts (1937) and Master of Education (1955) degrees at the University of Toronto. During the First World War, he served with a fighter squadron in France after joining the Royal Flying Corps in June 1917. Following the war, he found employment at the Timken Detroit Axle Company in Detroit, Michigan (1918-1920) before returning to Ontario, where he worked as a public school teacher (1921-1929, 1932-1937) and as an RCAF flying instructor at Camp Borden (1929-1932). In September 1939 he was appointed Public School Inspector for Nipissing District No. 5 and relocated to North Bay. During his 25 years as Inspector, Trusler consolidated rural school boards in his District, co-authored a handwriting course that was widely used in Ontario elementary schools, and was involved in provincial curriculum committees. Following his retirement in 1964, Trusler served as Supervising Principal of the Widdifield Public School Board until December 1968 and was the Personnel Officer for the Nipissing Board of Education from 1969 to 1970. He was elected Alderman of the City of North Bay for 1970-1971. Trusler died in 1975.

Trusler was instrumental in the successful campaign to establish a post-secondary institution in North Bay, in which he served as Chairman of the Northeastern University Committee (1959-1960), Chairman of the Executive Council of Northeastern University (1960-1967), and Chairman of the Board of Governors of Nipissing College (1967-1975). He was also a founding member of Northeastern University's Board of Directors and a member of the Campus Planning Committee that planned the College Education Centre, which opened in 1972 as the new home of Nipissing College and three other local colleges. Trusler's contributions to education were recognized in 1969 when Laurentian University awarded him an Honourary Degree of Doctor of Law; a public school in North Bay was also later named in his honour. Trusler's other volunteer activities included serving as Provincial Secretary of the Ontario Public School Men Teacher's Federation, as Field Secretary of the Ontario Educational Association, and as Chairman of the North Bay Library Board and the North Bay Tuberculosis Association.

Follis, Ernie

  • NUCCASC-AR0037
  • Persoon
  • [19--]-[196-]

Ernie Follis was the owner of Ernie Follis Shoes, a store in North Bay. He served on the Executive Council of the Northeastern University Committee and Northeastern University's Board of Directors.

Harris Learning Library

  • NUCCASC-AR0052
  • Instelling
  • 2011-

The Harris Learning Library serves the students, faculty, and staff of Nipissing University and Canadore College at the North Bay, Brantford, Muskoka, North Bay Commerce Court, and Parry Sound campuses.

Canadore College. Student Athletic Assembly

  • NUCCASC-AR0054
  • Instelling
  • 1975-[199-?]

The Student Athletic Assembly was a student organization founded in 1975 to promote and govern intramural athletics at Canadore College. The organization was involved in the organization of inter-college athletics competitions, such as Ontario College Athletic Association (OCAA) tournaments and Sportsarama, as well as Canadore College events like the annual winter carnival Snofest.

Parker, Martin

  • NUCCASC-AR0062
  • Persoon
  • [19--]-

Martin Parker was the Regional Coordinator for the Parry Sound District for the second edition of the Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas, which was compiled between 2001 and 2005. A keen naturalist, Parker had previously been the Regional Coordinator for Bruce County for the first edition of the atlas in 1981-1985.

Parker has since moved to Peterborough, Ontario where he remains active with the Peterborough Field Naturalists.

Mauro, Rudy

  • NUCCASC-AR0065
  • Persoon
  • [19--]-

Fockler, Ewart Kenneth

  • NUCCASC-AR0067
  • Persoon
  • 1903-1998

Ewart Kenneth "Grub" Fockler was a consulting mining geologist based in Toronto, Ontario. Originally from Newmarket, Fockler graduated with a degree in Geology and Mineralogy from the University of Toronto in 1927 and began work as a consulting geologist in the northern Yukon and the Coppermine-Great Bear Lake area. He later became a senior member of the Society of Economic Geologists and the Canadian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, as well as a founding member of the Geological Association of Canada. Fockler died on April 1, 1998.

Nettlefold, Brian

  • NUCCASC-AR0074
  • Persoon
  • [1946]-

Brian Nettlefold was Executive Director of Library Services at Nipissing University and head of the Education Centre Library.

Nipissing University Student Union

  • NUCCASC-AR0077
  • Instelling
  • [197-]-

The Nipissing University Student Union is a student organization at Nipissing University.

The Nipissing Drug Store

  • NUCCASC-AR0002
  • Instelling
  • 1895-1933

The Nipissing Drug Store was a pharmacy located in North Bay, Ontario. Arthur Cecil Rorabeck opened the Nipissing Drug Store in 1895 on Main Street in North Bay. Following Rorabeck's death in 1932, the business was bought by Reg Harris in 1933 and renamed the Harris Drug Store.

Nipissing University. President's Office

  • NUCCASC-AR0003
  • Instelling
  • 1967-

According to the <i>Nipissing University Act</i> (1992), "the President is the Chief Executive Officer of the University and has supervision over and direction of the academic and general administration of the University, the members of faculty, officers, employees and students." The President is a member of the university's two governing bodies, the Board of Governors and the Senate (of which he is also the Chair). The Board of Governors is responsible for the appointment and removal of the President, in consultation with the Senate.

The Presidents of Nipissing University have been: George Zytaruk (1967-1983), Anthony Blackbourn (1983-1990), David Marshall (1990-2003), Dennis Mock (2003-2009), Lesley Lovett-Doust (2009-2012), Vicky Paine-Mantha (Interim President, 2012-2013), and Michael DeGagné (2013-).

Laurentian University

  • NUCCASC-AR0082
  • Instelling
  • 1960-

Laurentian University is a bilingual university in Greater Sudbury.

Nipissing University Association

  • NUCCASC-AR0080
  • Instelling
  • [1972?]-[1974?]

The Nipissing University Association was an organization open to students and the public which was intended to promote fundraising for the university and improve relations with the local community. It later became the Nipissing University Alumni Association (?).

Weaver, Father Norman

  • NUCCASC-AR0039
  • Persoon
  • -1960

Reverend Norman Weaver was a Roman Catholic priest, a member of the Congregation of the Resurrection, and the President of North Bay College. Weaver died suddenly on May 20, 1960.

Zytaruk, George

  • NUCCASC-AR0001
  • Persoon
  • 1927-2013

George Zytaruk was the first President of Nipissing College, a Professor of English Literature, and a renowned D. H. Lawrence scholar. He was born on May 6, 1927 in rural Alberta. He attended the University of Alberta, receiving a Bachelor of Education degree in 1949, followed by Bachelor of Arts (Honours) and Master of Arts degrees in English. He worked as a teacher and principal in Edmonton and other Alberta communities until 1962, when he commenced his doctorate at the University of Washington in Seattle. After graduating in 1965, Zytaruk returned to the University of Alberta and taught in the English department. In 1967, he relocated with his family to North Bay, Ontario after being appointed Principal (later renamed President) of the newly-established Nipissing College. As President of Nipissing College from 1967 to 1983, he was instrumental in the college's early development and played a central role in key events including the college's affiliation agreement with Laurentian University (1967), the construction of the College Education Centre (opened 1973), and the establishment of a Faculty of Education following the merger of North Bay Teachers’ College with Nipissing College (1973).

Zytaruk continued researching, writing, and teaching as a professor of English language and literature at Nipissing College both during and after his presidential term. His primary academic interest was the English writer D. H. Lawrence, while other interests included Shakespeare and Renaissance literature. Zytaruk retired in 1992, but remained active in the affairs of Nipissing University, which recognized his contributions by awarding him an Honourary Doctorate of Letters (1992), and naming him its first Professor Emeritus (1997) and President Emeritus (2011). George Zytaruk died in North Bay on April 12, 2013.

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 2992 (Redbridge)

  • NUCCASC-AR0018
  • Instelling
  • 1925?-1942?

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 2992 was a Protestant fraternal organization in Redbridge, Ontario. Lodges of the Orange Order provided social events and mutual aid to their members, and had a Masonic-style organizational structure and system of degrees. It is unknown when Lodge No. 2992 was dissolved, but its last records date to 1942.

Belle of the North Ladies Orange Benevolent Association No. 140

  • NUCCASC-AR0020
  • Instelling
  • [before 1922]-[after 1935]

Belle of the North Orange Benevolent Association No. 140 was a primary (local) lodge of the women's auxiliary of the Orange Order, a Protestant fraternal organization, in Powassan, Ontario. Like the male lodges of the Orange Order, Ladies Orange Benevolent Association lodges had a Masonic-style structure and system of degrees, and its members took part in charitable and social activities. It is unknown when Belle of the North Orange Benevolent Association No. 140 was founded and disbanded.

Robert Rowe

  • NUCCASC-AR0043
  • Persoon

Robert Rowe was Mayor of North Bay in 1930-1931 and a member of King Hiram Royal Black Preceptory No. 762.

Loyal Orange District Lodge D.83 (District of North Nipissing)

  • NUCCASC-AR0028
  • Instelling
  • 1911-1969

Loyal Orange District Lodge D.83 (District of North Nipissing) was a district lodge of the Orange Order, a Protestant fraternal organization, which had jurisdiction over primary (local) lodges in the present-day Nipissing District. The District Lodge was founded in 1911 following a resolution by the Loyal Orange County Lodge of Nipissing East to establish three district lodges for the North, South, and East Nipissing areas.

District Lodge D. 83 had jurisdiction over the Orange Order's District of North Nipissing, which covered the area immediately to the north of Lake Nipissing and along the Mattawa River, stretching from Cache Bay at its western boundary to Eau Claire in the east. The following primary (local) lodges were under the jurisdiction of District Lodge D.83: Loyal Orange Lodge No. 876 (North Bay), No. 1070 (Cache Bay), No. 1682 (Four Mile Lake), No. 1709 (Sturgeon Falls), No. 2104 (Rutherglen), No. 2189 (North Bay), No. 2287 (Eau Claire), and No. 2992 (Redbridge). The membership of the District Lodge was made up of Orangemen from its primary lodges, and the Lodge's annual meetings were held in North Bay or other communities within the District. After a long decline in the membership of its primary lodges, District Lodge D.83 was officially dissolved on April 21, 1969.

Loyal Orange County Lodge of Nipissing East

  • NUCCASC-AR0029
  • Instelling
  • 1893-1997

The Loyal Orange County Lodge of Nipissing East was a county lodge of the Orange Order, a Protestant fraternal organization, with jurisdiction over Orange lodges in the present-day District of Nipissing and the District of Parry Sound. Founded at a meeting in North Bay on 25 April 1893, the County Lodge provided leadership to the district and primary lodges in its jurisdiction and reported to the Grand Lodge of Ontario West (one of the provincial lodges of the Grand Orange Lodge of Canada).

The Orange Order's County of Nipissing East incorporated the areas to the north, south, and east of Lake Nipissing which covered much of the present-day District of Nipissing and District of Parry Sound. Its boundaries extended to Eau Claire in the east, Cache Bay in the west, Spence in the south, and Redbridge in the north. Originally, the County Lodge's jurisdiction stretched even further to the east; at its founding in 1893, it included primary lodges No. 1055 (Warren), No. 1088 (Sudbury), No. 1100 (Webbwood), and No. 1283 (Copper Cliff), which were later removed to another county's jurisdiction.

The Loyal Orange County Lodge of Nipissing East contained three subordinate district lodges established in 1911: Loyal Orange District Lodge D.83 (District of North Nipissing), Loyal Orange District Lodge D. 84 (District of South Nipissing), and the Loyal Orange District Lodge of Nipissing East. These districts contained 24 primary (local) lodges, from which the County Lodge's members were drawn and which took turns hosting the semi-annual county lodge meetings. After a long decline in membership, the County Lodge was disbanded on December 15, 1997 at the decision of the Grand Orange Lodge of Ontario West.

Resultaten 1 tot 50 van 84