Showing 84 results

Authority record

Zytaruk, George

  • NUCCASC-AR0001
  • Person
  • 1927-2013

George Zytaruk was the first President of Nipissing College, a Professor of English Literature, and a renowned D. H. Lawrence scholar. He was born on May 6, 1927 in rural Alberta. He attended the University of Alberta, receiving a Bachelor of Education degree in 1949, followed by Bachelor of Arts (Honours) and Master of Arts degrees in English. He worked as a teacher and principal in Edmonton and other Alberta communities until 1962, when he commenced his doctorate at the University of Washington in Seattle. After graduating in 1965, Zytaruk returned to the University of Alberta and taught in the English department. In 1967, he relocated with his family to North Bay, Ontario after being appointed Principal (later renamed President) of the newly-established Nipissing College. As President of Nipissing College from 1967 to 1983, he was instrumental in the college's early development and played a central role in key events including the college's affiliation agreement with Laurentian University (1967), the construction of the College Education Centre (opened 1973), and the establishment of a Faculty of Education following the merger of North Bay Teachers’ College with Nipissing College (1973).

Zytaruk continued researching, writing, and teaching as a professor of English language and literature at Nipissing College both during and after his presidential term. His primary academic interest was the English writer D. H. Lawrence, while other interests included Shakespeare and Renaissance literature. Zytaruk retired in 1992, but remained active in the affairs of Nipissing University, which recognized his contributions by awarding him an Honourary Doctorate of Letters (1992), and naming him its first Professor Emeritus (1997) and President Emeritus (2011). George Zytaruk died in North Bay on April 12, 2013.

Weaver, Father Norman

  • NUCCASC-AR0039
  • Person
  • -1960

Reverend Norman Weaver was a Roman Catholic priest, a member of the Congregation of the Resurrection, and the President of North Bay College. Weaver died suddenly on May 20, 1960.

Wardlaw, Eva

  • NUCCASC-AR0055
  • Person
  • 1928-

Eva Wardlaw was a North Bay educator, city councillor, and volunteer administrator. Born in 1928 in Athens, Greece as Evanthia Mihelakos, in 1932 she immigrated to Canada with her family, who settled in North Bay. From 1960 to 1986, Wardlaw taught as a teacher, vice-principal, and principal at the Paul Davoud School at Canadian Forces Base North Bay. She also served on North Bay City Council as an alderman/city councillor for nine years.

Wardlaw has volunteered with many local organizations, serving on the board of the Nipissing Children's Aid Society, Nipissing University's Board of Governors, and the Board of Directors of the North Bay-Mattawa Conservation Authority (NBMCA). Her long service with the NBMCA (from 1979 to 1997) was recognized with the naming of Eva Wardlaw Park (now Eva Wardlaw Conservation Authority) in 1997.

Trusler, J. W.

  • NUCCASC-AR0034
  • Person
  • 1898-1975

J. W. Trusler was Public School Inspector for Nipissing District No. 5 and was leader of the campaign that led to the establishment of Nipissing College. John Wallace "Jack" Trusler was born on December 20, 1898 in Camlachie in Lambton County, Ontario. He trained as a teacher at Stratford Normal School (1917) and later completed Bachelor of Arts (1937) and Master of Education (1955) degrees at the University of Toronto. During the First World War, he served with a fighter squadron in France after joining the Royal Flying Corps in June 1917. Following the war, he found employment at the Timken Detroit Axle Company in Detroit, Michigan (1918-1920) before returning to Ontario, where he worked as a public school teacher (1921-1929, 1932-1937) and as an RCAF flying instructor at Camp Borden (1929-1932). In September 1939 he was appointed Public School Inspector for Nipissing District No. 5 and relocated to North Bay. During his 25 years as Inspector, Trusler consolidated rural school boards in his District, co-authored a handwriting course that was widely used in Ontario elementary schools, and was involved in provincial curriculum committees. Following his retirement in 1964, Trusler served as Supervising Principal of the Widdifield Public School Board until December 1968 and was the Personnel Officer for the Nipissing Board of Education from 1969 to 1970. He was elected Alderman of the City of North Bay for 1970-1971. Trusler died in 1975.

Trusler was instrumental in the successful campaign to establish a post-secondary institution in North Bay, in which he served as Chairman of the Northeastern University Committee (1959-1960), Chairman of the Executive Council of Northeastern University (1960-1967), and Chairman of the Board of Governors of Nipissing College (1967-1975). He was also a founding member of Northeastern University's Board of Directors and a member of the Campus Planning Committee that planned the College Education Centre, which opened in 1972 as the new home of Nipissing College and three other local colleges. Trusler's contributions to education were recognized in 1969 when Laurentian University awarded him an Honourary Degree of Doctor of Law; a public school in North Bay was also later named in his honour. Trusler's other volunteer activities included serving as Provincial Secretary of the Ontario Public School Men Teacher's Federation, as Field Secretary of the Ontario Educational Association, and as Chairman of the North Bay Library Board and the North Bay Tuberculosis Association.

The Sisters of the Precious Blood

  • NUCCASC-AR0073
  • Corporate body
  • 1861-

The Sisters of the Precious Blood are a contemplative, cloistered religious community of the Catholic Church. The Sisters currently have four active monasteries across Canada. They had a monastery in North Bay, Ontario from 1936 to 2007.

The Nipissing Drug Store

  • NUCCASC-AR0002
  • Corporate body
  • 1895-1933

The Nipissing Drug Store was a pharmacy located in North Bay, Ontario. Arthur Cecil Rorabeck opened the Nipissing Drug Store in 1895 on Main Street in North Bay. Following Rorabeck's death in 1932, the business was bought by Reg Harris in 1933 and renamed the Harris Drug Store.

Surtees, Bob

  • NUCCASC-AR0045
  • Person
  • 1941-2001

Bob Surtees was a Professor of History and founding faculty member of Nipissing University. Robert J. Surtees was born on January 15, 1941 and moved to North Bay with his family at the age of 13. His parents Robert Manion Surtees and Annie Ellen Luella (McCarthy) Surtees were educators and both taught at North Bay Teachers’ College.

After completing a Master of Arts degree at Carleton University, Surtees worked for two years as a high school teacher before securing a position as Assistant Professor in 1967 at the newly-established Nipissing College. In 1983, he received his doctorate from Carleton University and was subsequently promoted to full Professor. For 34 years he taught history at Nipissing College/University, where he was also involved in the Faculty Association, Senate, and Board of Governors. His research interests included First Nations history (with a focus on treaties and land claims, subjects on which he provided consulting services) and local history. He authored several books, including <i>The Original People</i> (1971) and <i>The Northern Connection: Ontario Northland Since 1902</i> (1992).

Surtees was active in the community and served as President of the Ontario Historical Association and as Chairman of the Education Quality and Accountability Office. He was also coach of the Nipissing University basketball team, advisor to the Nipissing University Drama Club, and involved with the North Bay and Area Museum, North Bay Tennis Club, Knights of Columbus, and the Nipissing District Progressive Conservative Party. Surtees died on August 25, 2001.

Sobisch, Father Ted

  • NUCCASC-AR0044
  • Person
  • 1916-1987

Father Ted Sobisch was a Roman Catholic priest and teacher who was involved in the establishment and development of Northeastern University and Nipissing College in North Bay, Ontario. Sobisch was a member of the Congregation of the Resurrection and a teacher by training, having received a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Western Ontario and Bachelor of Pedagogy from the University of Toronto in 1953. He served as the Principal of St. Jerome's High School in Kitchener for three years before moving to North Bay in 1960 to accept a position as Promotional Director for the planned new junior university at North Bay College (Scollard Hall), where he also worked as a teacher and registrar. Although the junior university initiative at Scollard Hall did not become a reality, he continued to be an active participant in the campaign to establish a university in North Bay and served on the Executive Council of Northeastern University from 1960-1966. When Nipissing College was established, he served on its Board of Governors from 1969 to 1978. He was also Chairman of the Nipissing College Advisory Committee and was helped found the Nipissing College Alumni Association. His contributions to education were recognized in 1985 when Nipissing University College awarded him an Honourary Doctorate of Law. Sobisch retired in 1978 and died in Kitchener, Ontario in March 1987.

Schreyer, Boguslaw

  • NUCCASC-AR0064
  • Person
  • [19--]-

Boguslaw Schreyer is an Associate Professor of Computer Science and Mathematics in the Faculty of Arts and Science at Nipissing University.

Saint Andrew's United Church (North Bay)

  • NUCCASC-AR0057
  • Corporate body
  • 1884-

Saint Andrew's United Church is a church in North Bay, Ontario. Founded in 1884 as a Presbyterian church in Mattawa, the present church building in downtown North Bay (at the corner of McIntyre, Cassells, and Algonquin Streets) was built in 1904. After the majority of the Presbyterian Church in Canada joined the Methodist and Congregational churches in union in 1925, Saint Andrew's became a United church.

Royal Scarlet Chapter D.83 (District of North Nipissing)

  • NUCCASC-AR0027
  • Corporate body
  • 1912-[after 1983]

Royal Scarlet Chapter D. 83 (District of North Nipissing) was an assembly of members of the Protestant fraternal organization the Loyal Order of Orange who held the Order's highest degree, the Royal Scarlet. The Chapter's first meeting was on January 14, 1912 in North Bay. The date of its disbanding is unknown.

The Orange Order's District of Nipissing North, to which the Chapter belonged, was centred on North Bay and covered the area immediately to the north of Lake Nipissing and along the Mattawa River, stretching from Cache Bay at its western boundary to Eau Claire in the east. The membership of the Chapter was made up of Orangemen from primary (local) Orange lodges throughout this area, including: Loyal Orange Lodge No. 876 (North Bay), No. 1070 (Cache Bay), No. 1682 (Four Mile Lake), No. 1709 (Sturgeon Falls), No. 2104 (Rutherglen), No. 2189 (North Bay), No. 2287 (Eau Claire), and No. 2992 (Redbridge).

Meetings of the Royal Scarlet Chapter of Nipissing East District were held monthly and usually took place at the Orange Hall in North Bay, although meetings were occasionally held in other communities including Mattawa, Sturgeon Falls, and Eau Claire.

Royal Scarlet Chapter (District of East Nipissing)

  • NUCCASC-AR0024
  • Corporate body
  • 1907-1970?

The Royal Scarlet Chapter of the District of East Nipissing was an assembly of members of the Loyal Order of Orange (a Protestant fraternal organization) who held the Order's highest degree, the Royal Scarlet Degree. The Chapter was founded in North Bay, Ontario in 1907; the date of its disbanding is unknown.

The District of Nipissing East, to which the Chapter belonged, roughly covered the area south of North Bay and north of Sundridge, with Arnstein at its western boundary and Chisholm to the east. The membership of the Chapter was made up of Orangemen from primary (local) Orange lodges throughout this area, including: Loyal Orange Lodge No. 429 (Callander), No. 758 (Powassan), No. 812 (Nipissing), No. 1172 (Trout Creek), No. 1323 (Chisholm), No. 1938 (Restoule), No. 2888 (Golden Valley), and No. 3015 (Arnstein). Records indicate that initially the Nipissing East District also covered areas further to the north and east. From 1907 until 1912 (when Royal Scarlet Chapter D.83 was established in North Bay) the Chapter's membership therefore also included Orangemen from Loyal Orange Lodge No. 876 (North Bay), No. 1268 (Whitney), and No. 1709 (Sturgeon Falls).

Meetings of the Royal Scarlet Chapter of the District of Nipissing East were held monthly at various Orange halls throughout the District, although some locations served as more regular meeting places. From 1908 to 1911 most meetings were held at the Orange Hall in North Bay; from 1912 to around 1953, meetings were held in Powassan, and from about 1959 to 1970 Nipissing and Chisholm served as the usual meeting places. Other communities that hosted Chapter meetings include Sundridge, Magnetawan, Sturgeon Falls, Restoule, Trout Creek, Golden Valley, and Callander.

Roseborough, Myrtle

  • NUCCASC-AR0016
  • Person
  • 1902-

Myrtle Roseborough, born Myrtle Eva Thompson, was a student from Burk's Falls, Ontario who attended North Bay Normal School in 1923-1924.

Robert Rowe

  • NUCCASC-AR0043
  • Person

Robert Rowe was Mayor of North Bay in 1930-1931 and a member of King Hiram Royal Black Preceptory No. 762.

Rawn, John

  • NUCCASC-AR0081
  • Person
  • [19--]-

Pennock, George

  • NUCCASC-AR0008
  • Person
  • 1914-

George Pennock was a student from North Bay, Ontario who attended North Bay Normal School in 1932-1933.

Pasko, Stan

  • NUCCASC-AR0010
  • Person
  • 1936-2011

Stan Joseph Pasko was a Professor in the Faculty of Education at Nipissing University. Pasko was born on February 23, 1936 in Fort William, Ontario, the son of John and Anna Pasko. In 1955-1956 he trained to be a teacher at North Bay Teachers' College. After graduation, Pasko taught at elementary schools in Fort William and Kingston, and was a principal in Atikokan, Ontario. During this period he continued his education part time through the University of Western Ontario and the University of Toronto, eventually receiving his Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Education, and Master of Arts degrees. He completed his doctorate in Mathematics Education at the University of Ottawa in 1977. From 1974 to 1990, Pasko was a professor in the Faculty of Education at Nipissing University.

In 1974 Pasko returned to North Bay after being hired as an Assistant Professor in the Faculty of Education at Nipissing College. He eventually became an Associate Professor, and remained a faculty member at Nipissing until his retirement in 1990. Pasko died on August 14, 2011 in Thunder Bay, ON.

Parker, Martin

  • NUCCASC-AR0062
  • Person
  • [19--]-

Martin Parker was the Regional Coordinator for the Parry Sound District for the second edition of the Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas, which was compiled between 2001 and 2005. A keen naturalist, Parker had previously been the Regional Coordinator for Bruce County for the first edition of the atlas in 1981-1985.

Parker has since moved to Peterborough, Ontario where he remains active with the Peterborough Field Naturalists.

Ontario Northland Railway

  • NUCCASC-AR0050
  • Corporate body
  • 1902-

The Ontario Northland Railway is a Canadian railway in northern Ontario that is operated by the Ontario Northland Transportation Commission, a crown agency of the Government of Ontario. The railway's head office is in North Bay, Ontario.

Noël, Françoise

  • NUCCASC-AR0060
  • Person
  • 1952-

Françoise Noël is a professor of history at Nipissing University in North Bay, Ontario. Noël received her Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Alberta in 1972, and her Master of Arts and Doctor of Philosophy degrees from McGill University. She began teaching at Nipissing University as an Assistant Professor in 1988 and was promoted to Professor in 2004. Her research interests have included tourism in the Nipissing area, family and community history in Northeastern Ontario, family life in nineteenth century Quebec and Ontario, settlement in the Eastern Townships, and seigneurial administration in the Upper Richelieu Valley.

Northeastern University Committee

  • NUCCASC-AR0035
  • Corporate body
  • 1959-1960

The Northeastern University Committee was a volunteer organization that advocated for the establishment of a junior university in North Bay. In March 1958, a committee was set up by the North Bay Chamber of Commerce that included representatives from the municipal councils of North Bay, Ferris, and Widdifield, as well as from local organizations. The committee built on the efforts of an earlier committee in 1947 that had also investigated the possibility of founding a university in North Bay.

In September 1958, the committee received a proposal from the Congregation of the Resurrection, a local religious order, offering funds, teaching staff, and facilities for the provision of first year university courses at North Bay College (a Catholic boy’s high school, also known as Scollard Hall) until a proper university campus could be established. The committee accepted the offer and pledged to establish an advisory board known as the Northeastern University Committee, which had its inaugural meeting on February 18, 1959. The Committee had an initial membership of 114 men and women, who were drawn from various religious, educational, professional, and cultural backgrounds and represented the area of northeastern Ontario that the proposed new university would serve, an area bounded by Timmins, Capreol, Bracebridge, and Mattawa. The Committee worked to establish either a non-denominational university or a federated university (with a non-denominational board of governors) made up of multiple denominational colleges, this federated structure being inspired by that of the Universities of Toronto, Waterloo, and Windsor.

The Committee decided to incorporate in order to be eligible to apply for a university charter. On June 9, 1960 Northeastern University was officially incorporated under letters patent, and the members and Executive Council of the Northeastern University Committee transferred to the new corporation.

Northeastern University

  • NUCCASC-AR0042
  • Corporate body
  • 1960-1967

Northeastern University was a nascent institution of higher learning in North Bay which later became Nipissing College. In 1959, the Northeastern University Committee, a volunteer organization founded in North Bay to advocate for the establishment of a local junior university, decided to incorporate in order to be eligible to apply for a university charter. Northeastern University was officially incorporated under letters patent on 9 June 1960, with the members and Executive Council of Northeastern University Committee transferring to the new corporation.

In 1960-1961, Northeastern University offered first year university courses in Arts, Science, and Commerce at North Bay College (a Catholic boys' high school in North Bay, also known as Scollard Hall) through an agreement with the Congregation of the Resurrection, the religious order that ran the school. This arrangement lasted only one year, however, before the Congregation of the Resurrection decided to cancel the partnership.

The establishment of Laurentian University in Sudbury in 1960 was a major setback for Northeastern University, and its application to the Ontario Ministry of Education for a degree-granting university charter was subsequently denied on February 28, 1961. In response, Northeastern began exploring the possibility of affiliation with Laurentian University, which would enable university courses to be offered in North Bay. In the meantime, Northeastern University leased Cassellholme Home for the Aged, a former retirement home on Cassells Street, and arranged for Laurentian University professors to teach extension night classes there starting in 1962. In February 1967, Northeastern University signed an affiliation agreement with Laurentian University, clearing the way for a wider program of courses to be offered in North Bay and for teaching faculty to be hired. As an affiliation agreement between two universities was not allowed, Northeastern University officially changed its name to Nipissing College under supplementary letters patent on April 4, 1967

North Bay Teachers' College

  • NUCCASC-AR0005
  • Corporate body
  • 1909-1973

North Bay Teachers’ College was a training school for teachers in North Bay, Ontario. The college was founded in 1909 and was originally called the North Bay Normal School (the name derives from the teaching “norms” or standards upon which education was based at the time). The North Bay Normal School was the seventh normal school to be established in the province, and the first and only school to be established in Northern Ontario. Through the completion of a one-year course at the school, students (mostly recent high school graduates) could become qualified teachers. The school was located in downtown North Bay at 168 First Avenue West in a two-storey brick building, and was initially headed by A.C. Casselman, principal from 1909 to 1930.

In 1953, the North Bay Normal School was renamed North Bay Teachers' College after a decision by the Department of Education to rename the normal schools to better reflect their purpose as institutions for the professional education of teachers. In September 1972 the college moved from its downtown location to the College Education Centre (today Nipissing University and Canadore College's North Bay campus), which had just been built to house it and three other local colleges: Nipissing College, Canadore College, and Saint Joseph's School of Nursing.

On 1 September 1973, North Bay Teachers' College was formally integrated into Nipissing University College, becoming the new Faculty of Education and ceasing operation as an independent institution.

North Bay Community Concert Association

  • NUCCASC-AR0015
  • Corporate body
  • 1943-1984

The North Bay Community Concert Association was a volunteer organization which organized regular concert series of professional live music in North Bay. Founded in 1943, the Association was one of many such community concert associations in Canada and the US which organized concerts through a partnership with the New York-based booking agency Columbia Artists Management Incorporated and its subsidiaries. Community concert associations would hold annual membership campaigns, requiring members to purchase prepaid subscriptions to the year’s concerts. With the funds raised, the associations would rent a concert venue and book artists through Columbia Artists Management Incorporated, which was responsible for making all other concert arrangements and for providing pre-printed concert programs and publicity material. This “organized audience” program allowed volunteer groups in smaller cities and towns to engage major Canadian and international artists for local concerts which would not otherwise have been financially viable.

The North Bay Community Concert Association usually sponsored four members-only concerts each year, predominantly featuring classical music, but occasionally folk music, musical theatre, and dance. Some of the more well-known artists who performed in North Bay included the Von Trapp Family Singers, de Paur’s Infantry Chorus, the baritone Todd Duncan, contralto Portia White, soprano Camilla Williams, and pianist Lillian Kallir. Local musicians were only rarely featured. At its peak in the 1960s and 1970s, the Association had between 1000 and 1500 members. Concerts were held in the auditorium of North Bay Collegiate Institute and Vocational School (later renamed Algonquin Composite) until 1959, when they were moved to the Capitol Theatre. In 1980, the Theatre’s owner cancelled their agreement with the Association, forcing it to move the concerts to the auditorium of West Ferris Secondary School, which did not prove adequate. Faced with a lack of a proper venue together with a dwindling membership, the Association voted to disband on 10 September 1984.

North Bay College

  • NUCCASC-AR0047
  • Corporate body
  • 1931-1985

North Bay College (Scollard Hall) was a Roman Catholic boy's high school in North Bay, Ontario. The school was founded and administered by the Kitchener-based Congregation of the Resurrection, and accepted day and boarding students. In 1985, North Bay College merged with Saint Joseph's College, a girl's high school run by the Sisters of Saint Joseph, to become St. Joseph-Scollard Hall Catholic Secondary School.

North Bay & District Historical Society

  • NUCCASC-AR0048
  • Corporate body
  • 1964-1967?

The North Bay & District Historical Society was a local history organization in North Bay that was affiliated with the Ontario Historical Society. The Society was founded in November 1964 and the date it disbanded is unknown, although the last meeting recorded in the minute book was held on March 21, 1967.

Nipissing University. Senate

  • NUCCASC-AR0040
  • Corporate body
  • 1973-

The Senate is one of the two governing bodies of Nipissing University (the other being the Board of Governors), and is responsible for academic policy. Originally, when it was an affiliated college of Laurentian University of Sudbury, Nipissing College's academic programs were overseen by Laurentian's Senate, of which Nipissing College's Principal/President George Zytaruk was a member. In 1973, Nipissing College established a Senate of its own, which was bound by the terms of the affiliation agreement to ensure that the College's academic programs were congruent with those of Laurentian University. When Nipissing College received its university charter in 1992 and became Nipissing University, the Nipissing University Act re-established the Senate as one of the two branches of governance of the new University.

Nipissing University. Schulich School of Education

  • NUCCASC-AR0006
  • Corporate body
  • 1973-

The Schulich School of Education is Nipissing University's school of education. It was established as Nipissing College's Faculty of Education when North Bay Teachers' College was merged with Nipissing College in August 1973. The Faculty of Education was renamed the Schulich School of Education in 2010 following a $15 million donation to the university by Seymour Schulich.

Nipissing University. President's Office

  • NUCCASC-AR0003
  • Corporate body
  • 1967-

According to the <i>Nipissing University Act</i> (1992), "the President is the Chief Executive Officer of the University and has supervision over and direction of the academic and general administration of the University, the members of faculty, officers, employees and students." The President is a member of the university's two governing bodies, the Board of Governors and the Senate (of which he is also the Chair). The Board of Governors is responsible for the appointment and removal of the President, in consultation with the Senate.

The Presidents of Nipissing University have been: George Zytaruk (1967-1983), Anthony Blackbourn (1983-1990), David Marshall (1990-2003), Dennis Mock (2003-2009), Lesley Lovett-Doust (2009-2012), Vicky Paine-Mantha (Interim President, 2012-2013), and Michael DeGagné (2013-).

Nipissing University. Office of Integrated Marketing and Communications

  • NUCCASC-AR0004
  • Corporate body
  • [19--]-

The Office of Integrated Marketing and Communications is responsible for the development and management of marketing, communications, and recruitment strategies for Nipissing University. The Office is responsible for issuing press releases, publishing marketing materials, website design, and brand development.

Nipissing University. Institute for Community Studies and Oral History

  • NUCCASC-AR0041
  • Corporate body
  • 2003-2009

The Institute for Community Studies and Oral History (ICSOH) was a research institute/centre at Nipissing University. Established within the university's history department in 2003, the goals of the ICSOH were “the promotion of research on the history of communities in the Near North and becoming a centre of excellence in community studies and oral history.” During its years of operation the ICSOH collected a large number of oral histories and historical records relating to North Bay and area, many of which were collected by students as part of projects for history courses. The ICSOH also hosted an annual conference in North Bay as well as other events relating to community history.

The Institute was governed by a director, Francoise Noel, and an advisory board made up of other faculty members from the history department. An ICSOH Research Centre Committee also appears to have been involved in governance from 2008 to 2009. Due to a change in university policy regarding research centres, the ICSOH lost its status as an institute in 2008 and officially became a research centre known as the Centre for Community and Oral History (CCOH). The CCOH disbanded in 2009.

Nipissing University. Board of Governors

  • NUCCASC-AR0013
  • Corporate body
  • 1967-

The Board of Governors of Nipissing College is one of the two governing bodies of Nipissing University, the other being the Academic Senate. The Board was established in 1967, and was initially made up mostly of members of the former Executive Council of Northeastern University. When the College was granted a university charter in 1992, the <i>Nipissing University Act</i> established the Board of Governors as one of the two legislative branches of Nipissing University’s bicameral governance system.

Nipissing University Student Union

  • NUCCASC-AR0077
  • Corporate body
  • [197-]-

The Nipissing University Student Union is a student organization at Nipissing University.

Nipissing University Association

  • NUCCASC-AR0080
  • Corporate body
  • [1972?]-[1974?]

The Nipissing University Association was an organization open to students and the public which was intended to promote fundraising for the university and improve relations with the local community. It later became the Nipissing University Alumni Association (?).

Nipissing University

  • NUCCASC-AR0014
  • Corporate body
  • 1967-

Nipissing University is a public liberal arts university with its main campus in North Bay, Ontario. Although the University received its charter in 1992, it grew directly out of Nipissing College, a liberal arts college affiliated with Laurentian University of Sudbury that was established in North Bay in 1967. Nipissing College was the result of a nearly decade-long campaign to establish a junior university in North Bay, which began in 1959 with the work of the Northeastern University Committee, which incorporated in 1960 as Northeastern University. The new corporation was, however, unsuccessful in being granted a university charter, its application being denied by the Ontario Department of Education on January 28, 1961. Without a charter, Northeastern University was unable to grant degrees or receive funding, and was only able to provide night extension classes taught by Laurentian University professors, starting in 1962. On 18 February 1967, Northeastern University signed an affiliation agreement with Laurentian University and changed its name on April 4, 1967 to Nipissing College, as an affiliation between two universities was not allowed.

Seven teaching faculty, including Principal (later President) George Zytaruk, were hired before Nipissing College's first academic term began in fall 1967. Under the terms of the affiliation agreement, Nipissing College initially provided a small selection of General Arts courses, which were congruent with Laurentian University's academic curriculum and were intended to provide students with their first year courses before they transferred elsewhere to complete their degrees.

Over the years, Nipissing College grew in size and the range of academic programs it offered. In 1992, the Nipissing University Act established Nipissing University as an independent, degree-granting university, ending its affiliation with Laurentian University.

From 1967 to 1972, Nipissing College operated out of Cassellholme, a former retirement home at 1880 Cassells Street in North Bay. In fall 1972, the College relocated to the brand new College Education Centre on Gormanville Road, a purpose-built, multi-college campus that originally housed four local colleges: Nipissing College, Cambrian College (later renamed Canadore College), Saint Joseph's School of Nursing, and the North Bay Teachers' College. Today, the College Education Centre (current address 100 College Drive) continues to serve as the North Bay campus of Nipissing University and Canadore College. The University also has satellite campuses in Bracebridge (opened in 1996) and Brantford (opened in 2002), where it operates a joint program in teacher education with Wilfred Laurier University, although the cancellation of the program was announced in December 2014.

Nettlefold, Brian

  • NUCCASC-AR0074
  • Person
  • [1946]-

Brian Nettlefold was Executive Director of Library Services at Nipissing University and head of the Education Centre Library.

McCarthy, John R.

  • NUCCASC-AR0070
  • Person
  • [19--]-

John R. McCarthy was Ontario's Deputy Minister of Education from 1967 to 1971.

Mauro, Rudy

  • NUCCASC-AR0065
  • Person
  • [19--]-

Mauro, Isabel

  • NUCCASC-AR0007
  • Person
  • 1922-

Isabel Mauro, born Isabel May McDonald, was a student from North Bay, Ontario who attended North Bay Normal School in 1940-1941. From her teacher's day books, it appears that Mauro may have worked as a teacher in Eau Claire, Ontario following her graduation.

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 876 (North Bay)

  • NUCCASC-AR0017
  • Corporate body
  • 1888-1999?

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 876 was a Protestant fraternal organization in North Bay, Ontario. A primary (or local) lodge of the Orange Order, Lodge No. 876 was the first to be established in North Bay, receiving its warrant from the Loyal Orange Institution of British North America on March 15, 1888. Lodges of the Orange Order provided social events and mutual aid to their members, and had a Masonic-style organizational structure and system of degrees. Active for over one hundred years, Lodge No. 876 was dissolved around 1999 after a long decline in membership.

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 758 (Powassan)

  • NUCCASC-AR0021
  • Corporate body
  • 1889?-[after 1958]

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 758 was a Protestant fraternal organization in Powassan, Ontario. A primary (or local) lodge of the Orange Order, it is unknown exactly when Lodge No. 758 was first established. Orange Order lodges provided their members with social events and mutual aid, and had a Masonic-style organizational structure and system of degrees. It is unknown when Lodge No. 758 was disbanded, though an annual return indicates that it was still active with 10 members at the end of 1957.

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 2992 (Redbridge)

  • NUCCASC-AR0018
  • Corporate body
  • 1925?-1942?

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 2992 was a Protestant fraternal organization in Redbridge, Ontario. Lodges of the Orange Order provided social events and mutual aid to their members, and had a Masonic-style organizational structure and system of degrees. It is unknown when Lodge No. 2992 was dissolved, but its last records date to 1942.

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 1682 (Four Mile Lake)

  • NUCCASC-AR0026
  • Corporate body
  • 1929?-1975?

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 1682 was a Protestant fraternal organization at Four Mile Lake in North Bay, Ontario. Lodges of the Orange Order provided social events and mutual aid to their members, and had a Masonic-style organizational structure and system of degrees. It is unknown exactly when Loyal Orange Lodge No. 1682 was founded or disbanded.

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 1323 (Chisholm)

  • NUCCASC-AR0022
  • Corporate body
  • [before 1958]-[after 1984]

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 1323 was a Protestant fraternal organization in Chisholm, Ontario. A primary (or local) lodge of the Orange Order, it is unknown when Lodge No. 1323 was established and disbanded. Orange Order lodges provided their members with social events and mutual aid, and had a Masonic-style organizational structure and system of degrees.

Loyal Orange District Lodge of Nipissing East

  • NUCCASC-AR0031
  • Corporate body
  • 1911-[after 1968]

The Loyal Orange District Lodge of Nipissing East was a district lodge of the Orange Order, a Protestant fraternal organization, which had jurisdiction over primary (local) lodges in the present-day Parry Sound District. The District Lodge was founded in 1911 following a resolution by the Loyal Orange County Lodge of Nipissing East to establish three district lodges for the North, South, and East Nipissing areas.

The District Lodge had jurisdiction over the Orange Order's District of Nipissing East, which covered the area to the south and east of Lake Nipissing, from Arnstein at its western boundary to Chisholm in the east, and from Callander in the north to Trout Creek in the south. The following primary (local) lodges were under the jurisdiction of the Loyal Orange District Lodge of Nipissing East: Loyal Orange Lodge No. 429 (Callander), No. 758 (Powassan), No. 812 (Nipissing), No. 1172 (Trout Creek), No. 1323 (Chisholm), No. 1938 (Restoule), No. 2888 (Golden Valley), and No. 3015 (Arnstein). The membership of the District Lodge was made up of Orangemen from its primary lodges, who took turns hosting the Lodge's annual meetings. It is unknown when the District Lodge was disbanded.

Results 1 to 50 of 84