Showing 84 results

Authority record

Allen, Bill

  • NUCCASC-AR0012
  • Person
  • [19-]-

Bill Allen was a student at North Bay Teachers' College in 1961-1962, and a teacher.

Belle of the North Ladies Orange Benevolent Association No. 140

  • NUCCASC-AR0020
  • Corporate body
  • [before 1922]-[after 1935]

Belle of the North Orange Benevolent Association No. 140 was a primary (local) lodge of the women's auxiliary of the Orange Order, a Protestant fraternal organization, in Powassan, Ontario. Like the male lodges of the Orange Order, Ladies Orange Benevolent Association lodges had a Masonic-style structure and system of degrees, and its members took part in charitable and social activities. It is unknown when Belle of the North Orange Benevolent Association No. 140 was founded and disbanded.

Blackbourn, Anthony

  • NUCCASC-AR0076
  • Person
  • [19--]-2002

Anthony Blackbourn was a Professor of Geography and the second President of Nipissing University (1983-1990). As President, Blackbourn was responsible for initiating Nipissing University College's charter bid to become a degree-granting university, which it received under his successor, Dave Marshall. Blackbourn taught at Nipissing University as a Professor of Geography until his death in 2002.

Brown, Herb

  • NUCCASC-AR0036
  • Person
  • [192-]-2015

Herb Brown was a prominent North Bay businessman and the founder/owner of the H.E. Brown Supply Company Limited. His parents were Jewish immigrants from Poland who settled in North Bay, where Brown was raised and to which he returned after serving in the Second World War, establishing the H.E. Brown Supply Company Limited, an automotive and industrial supply business, in 1947. He was very active in the community and was a member of the Board of Governors of Nipissing University for nearly twenty years, serving as Vice-Chairman from 1967 to 1976, and Chairman from 1976 to 1985. He was also Secretary of the Executive Council of the Northeastern University Committee, a founding member of Northeastern University's Board of Directors, and Chairman of the St. Joseph's Hospital Board. Brown died on March 26, 2015.

Cambrian College. North Bay Campus

  • NUCCASC-AR0038
  • Corporate body
  • 1967-1972

Cambrian College's North Bay Campus was a satellite campus of the Sudbury-based Cambrian College of Applied Arts and Technology, and the predecessor to Canadore College. The campus was opened in July 1967 in downtown North Bay in the Queen Victoria School on Worthington Street. Growing enrolment quickly necessitated a move to a larger permanent facility and, following the purchase of land in the northwest part of North Bay, Cambrian College entered into negotiations with three other local colleges (Nipissing College, Saint Joseph's School of Nursing, and North Bay Teachers' College) with the aim of building a multi-college facility. Construction of the new campus facility, known as the College Education Centre, began in September 1970 under the management of Cambrian College. Before moving to the new campus, however, the North Bay Campus was separated from Cambrian College and became an independent college known as Canadore College of Applied Arts and Technology in September 1972.

Canadore College

  • NUCCASC-AR0053
  • Corporate body
  • 1972-

Canadore College is a college of applied arts and technology in North Bay, Ontario. It was originally founded as the North Bay Campus of Cambrian College, but became an independent college in 1972.

Canadore College. School of Environmental Studies and Biotechnology

  • NUCCASC-AR0032
  • Corporate body
  • 2012-

Canadore College's School of Environmental Studies and Biotechnology was founded in 2012. Previous to this, programs related to biotechnology and environmental studies were offered by Canadore's School of Health Sciences.

Canadore College. Student Athletic Assembly

  • NUCCASC-AR0054
  • Corporate body
  • 1975-[199-?]

The Student Athletic Assembly was a student organization founded in 1975 to promote and govern intramural athletics at Canadore College. The organization was involved in the organization of inter-college athletics competitions, such as Ontario College Athletic Association (OCAA) tournaments and Sportsarama, as well as Canadore College events like the annual winter carnival Snofest.

Carfagnini, Al

  • NUCCASC-AR0075
  • Person
  • (19--)-

Al Carfagnini was an administrator at Nipissing University. Since joining the administration of Nipissing College in 1977, Carfagnini worked in a number of roles, including: Liaison Officer, Assistant Registrar Liaison, Manager of Student Services, Manager of External Relations and Internal Relations, Executive Director of Student Affairs, and Associate Vice-President Student Development and International. He retired in 2011.

Cummings, Tom

  • NUCCASC-AR0066
  • Person
  • 1904-1996

Tom Cummings was an artist and teacher/principal who lived and worked in North Bay, Ontario. Born in Manitoba in 1904, Cummings grew up near Kingston, Ontario before enrolling in the teaching program at North Bay Normal School. After graduation he taught in Eau Claire before moving in 1927 to North Bay, where he worked for many years as a teacher and principal. A lifelong artist, Cummings studied art in Banff and Europe and travelled widely, especially after his retirement from teaching in 1964. In 1990 he was awarded an honourary doctorate by Nipissing University for his "artistic and humanitarian contribution." He donated a large collection of his artwork to Nipissing University before his death in 1996.

Dellandrea, Jon

  • NUCCASC-AR0063
  • Person
  • 1949-

Jon Dellandrea was the Chancellor Nipissing University from 2010 to 2014.

Elizabeth Thorn

  • NUCCASC-AR0051
  • Person
  • 1930-2002

Elizabeth Thorn was a Professor of Education at Nipissing University and an internationally-renowned Language Arts expert. Born in North Bay in 1930, Thorn received her Ontario Teacher’s Certificate from North Bay Normal School in 1948 and worked as a teacher at Powassan Public School from 1948 to 1959. She graduated from the University of Toronto with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1958, and subsequently completed her Master of Arts degree (1960) and doctorate (1967) at the University of Chicago. She worked as a Teaching Master at North Bay Teachers’ College from 1960 until 1973 when she joined the Faculty of Education at Nipissing College after the teachers’ college was integrated into it. In 1974 Thorn was tenured and became a Professor of Education, a post she held until her retirement in 1998.

Thorn was an internationally-recognized expert in Language Arts, pioneering new methods and developing many widely-adopted curriculum guidelines for the teaching of reading at the primary level. She contributed greatly to the development of the education program at Nipissing University and established the Nipissing Language Conference, a major gathering of Language Arts educators that was held for over twenty years. She also made major donations to Nipissing University which funded a scholarship and a research chair in literacy and language arts in her name. Thorn received many awards for her contributions to education, including the Ontario Council of Teachers of English’s Teacher of the Year Award (1975), the Order of Ontario (1994), and an honourary Doctor of Education degree from Nipissing University (2002). Elizabeth Thorn died in 2002.

Fockler, Ewart Kenneth

  • NUCCASC-AR0067
  • Person
  • 1903-1998

Ewart Kenneth "Grub" Fockler was a consulting mining geologist based in Toronto, Ontario. Originally from Newmarket, Fockler graduated with a degree in Geology and Mineralogy from the University of Toronto in 1927 and began work as a consulting geologist in the northern Yukon and the Coppermine-Great Bear Lake area. He later became a senior member of the Society of Economic Geologists and the Canadian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, as well as a founding member of the Geological Association of Canada. Fockler died on April 1, 1998.

Follis, Ernie

  • NUCCASC-AR0037
  • Person
  • [19--]-[196-]

Ernie Follis was the owner of Ernie Follis Shoes, a store in North Bay. He served on the Executive Council of the Northeastern University Committee and Northeastern University's Board of Directors.

Gould, Maitland Goldwin

  • NUCCASC-AR0046
  • Person
  • 1907-1980

Maitland Goldwin Gould was a judge who served in North Bay and Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. Gould was born on April 17, 1907 in North Bay. In 1912, his family built and moved to a cobblestone house on Queen Street on the shores of Lake Nipissing by the current Amelia Park, and it was there that he acquired his taste for swimming, canoeing, water sports, and outdoor life in general. He attended McIntyre Street School up to Grade 7, walking four miles a day in the process. During the years 1918 and 1919, his family moved several times throughout the United States and ended up in Edmonton where he graduated from elementary school. One of his teachers in Edmonton, who was named Mr. Davidson, got him interested in bird study, a hobby which he continued for the rest of his life. In June 1920, the family moved from Edmonton to Bowmanville, Ontario where his father opened a law practice. Gould completed five years of secondary school at Bowmanville High School, where he met his future wife, Dorothy Bonnycastle. During his years at high school, he was a track champion, debating captain, participant in several drama productions, a member of the soccer team, and graduated with a scholarship in Classics.

Following high school, Gould attended University College at the University of Toronto where he was awarded a silver medal in lifesaving, played a lot of squash, and dabbled in art and sketching. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Classics in 1929 and was awarded the Edward Blake scholarship and the McCaul Medal for the highest standing in Classics. Following that, he entered Osgoode Hall Law School and was called to the bar in 1932. He returned for a year to Bowmanville, where Dorothy had begun teaching at Bowmanville High School following her graduation from the University of Toronto. In May 1933, he returned to North Bay and joined the law firm of John H. McDonald, a former law partner of his father's. He joined the Ezylyfe Canoe Club, the Rotary Club, Nipissing Lodge, and the North Bay Ski Club.

In 1937, Gould was appointed relieving magistrate to fill in for the northern magistrates during their summer holidays. He travelled to many northern communities such as Timmins, Kirkland Lake, and Haileybury, and this helped develop his lifelong interest in the North. In August 1939, he married Dorothy and they settled in North Bay where they raised three children over 32 years of marriage. He continued to practise law in North Bay and was appointed permanent magistrate for the District of Nipissing in 1942, with the privilege of continuing his law practice. He also served as Juvenile Court Judge for the District of Nipissing. He became the senior partner in the law firm of Gould Birnie & McMillan and was awarded Queen's Counsel in 1965. As his work became much heavier, Judge Gould removed himself from his law practice to devote his attention to the position of magistrate.

During this time in North Bay, Gould was very involved in the community, serving on many boards such as the North Bay District School Board, the Police Commission, and the Library Board. He continued to develop his unwavering interest in birds, and began to keep meticulous records of all his sightings in the North Bay area as well as on any trips the family took across Canada, the far north, and the United States. For most of his life, Gould was an avid naturalist and bird watcher who kept extremely detailed records of all personal sightings as well as weather observations since the late 1930s. He also had a great interest in the Arctic and travelled extensively in the eastern Arctic, Northwest Territories, and Alaska. He maintained his cottage on Trout Lake even after his move to Sault Ste. Marie, and went out in his canoe most summer evenings to observe wildlife. He also maintained a cottage at Bright Lake in the Thessalon area, visiting it most weekends in the fall, winter, and spring in order to keep records of wildlife sightings in that area.

In 1968, Gould was appointed District Court Judge for the District of Algoma, which required a permanent move to Sault Ste. Marie. His wife Dorothy passed away in December of 1971 and he continued to sit on the bench in Sault Ste. Marie until his death on October 17, 1980. A tribute to Judge Gould was printed in a Canada Law Book publication in 1982 titled "Division of Matrimonial Assets in Ontario." It stated: "Judge Gould was appointed to the District Court of the District of Algoma. He was everything a judge should be. He knew the law and he was content to apply it and not make it. He was polite to counsel and it pained him when counsel were less than polite to each other. He was a Gentleman of the Old School. Judge Gould approached matters with a clarity of thought that sent counsel away wondering why they had ever thought a case was complicated. His ability to deal with issues of credibility and to assess witnesses was unmatched ... Judge Gould's personal notes (of each case) contained the truest summary of the evidence..... His death has removed a Judge of the classic mould."

[Biographical sketch by Nancy Elliott, November 2014]

Harris Learning Library

  • NUCCASC-AR0052
  • Corporate body
  • 2011-

The Harris Learning Library serves the students, faculty, and staff of Nipissing University and Canadore College at the North Bay, Brantford, Muskoka, North Bay Commerce Court, and Parry Sound campuses.

Harris, Mike

  • NUCCASC-AR0071
  • Person
  • 1945-

Mike Harris was the 22nd Premier of Ontario from June 26, 1995 to April 14, 2002.

Houston, Peter

  • NUCCASC-AR0061
  • Person
  • 1984-

Peter Houston was the Manager of Archives and Special Collections at Nipissing University from 2014 to 2016.

Jones, Jack

  • NUCCASC-AR0072
  • Person
  • [19--]-

Jack Jones is a Professor Emeritus of Nipissing University. After teaching for nearly 20 years at Canadian Forces Base North Bay, Jones joined Nipissing University College's Faculty of Education in 1984. As International Liaison Officer, he was heavily involved in teacher education projects in the Caribbean islands of Anguilla and Montserrat in the late 1980s and the 1990s. Jones retired in 2000 and was designated a Professor Emeritus of Nipissing University in 2012.

Junior Red Cross (North Bay Teachers' College)

  • NUCCASC-AR0011
  • Corporate body
  • [192-]-[after 1956]

The Junior Red Cross was a student service organization at North Bay Teachers' College. It was a branch of the Junior Red Cross organization, which was founded in Geneva in 1919 as the youth arm of the international humanitarian Red Cross movement. Branches of the Junior Red Cross were established around the world and had as a common goal the promotion for youth of health, citizenship, community service, and international understanding. In Canada, branches were mainly established in primary school classrooms under the guidance of teachers. Canadian teacher training institutions also set up Junior Red Cross branches, including North Bay Normal School/Teachers' College. The dates of the establishment and dissolution of the North Bay Teachers' College branch are unknown.

King George Loyal Orange Lodge No. 2189

  • NUCCASC-AR0025
  • Corporate body
  • [before 1942]-[after 1955]

King George Loyal Orange Lodge No. 2189 was a Protestant fraternal organization in North Bay, Ontario. Lodges of the Orange Order provided social events and mutual aid to their members, and had a Masonic-style organizational structure and system of degrees. It is unknown when the lodge was founded or disbanded.

King Hiram Royal Black Preceptory No. 762

  • NUCCASC-AR0023
  • Corporate body
  • 1909-1994?

King Hiram Royal Black Preceptory No. 762 was a Protestant fraternal organization in North Bay, Ontario. The Preceptory was founded on June 30, 1909 and named after the biblical Hebrew King Hiram I. It is unknown when the Preceptory was disbanded, but it was likely around 1994.

The Royal Black Institution, to which the Preceptory belonged, is closely affiliated with the Loyal Orange Institution and only Orangemen are eligible for initiation as members. Like the Orange Order, the Royal Black Institution was founded in Northern Ireland in the late 18th century during a period of Protestant-Catholic sectarian conflict, and has a Masonic-style organizational structure and system of degrees.

Kyle, Buck

  • NUCCASC-AR0049
  • Person
  • [19--]-[19--]

Buck Kyle was a counsellor with the Federal Business Development Bank's Counselling Assistance to Small Enterprises (CASE) program who worked in northern Ontario.

Lady Patricia Ladies Orange Benevolent Association No. 256

  • NUCCASC-AR0019
  • Corporate body
  • 1918-[after 1954]

Lady Patricia Ladies Orange Benevolent Association No. 256 was a primary (local) lodge of the women's auxiliary of the Orange Order, a Protestant fraternal organization, in North Bay, Ontario. The lodge was named in honour of Princess Patricia of Connaught, a granddaughter of Queen Victoria, and its first meeting was on March 30, 1918. Like the male lodges of the Orange Order, Ladies Orange Benevolent Association lodges had a Masonic-style structure and system of degrees, and its members took part in charitable and social activities. It is unknown when Lady Patricia Ladies Orange Benevolent Association No. 256 was disbanded, but records indicate it was active until at least the mid 1950s.

Laurentian University

  • NUCCASC-AR0082
  • Corporate body
  • 1960-

Laurentian University is a bilingual university in Greater Sudbury.

Laurier Avenue United Church

  • NUCCASC-AR0056
  • Corporate body
  • 1928-

The Laurier Avenue United Church is a church in North Bay, Ontario. Built on the corner of Laurier and Hammond Streets, the church was officially dedicated in 1928 and originally shared services with the West Ferris and Trout Mills United Churches. The modest church building has undergone several expansions, including a significant addition in 1964-1965.

Lavack, Robert

  • NUCCASC-AR0069
  • Person
  • [19--]-

Robert Lavack was a District Consultant with the Youth and Recreation Branch of the Ontario Department of Education who was active in northwestern Ontario in the late 1960s.

Lemieux, Fabian

  • NUCCASC-AR0009
  • Person
  • [19-]-[19-]

Fabian H. Lemieux was a teacher from Cochrane, Ontario, who trained at North Bay Teachers' College in 1960-1961. During his career, he was involved in environmental projects and worked with the Council of Drama in Education. The Ontario Arts Council established the Fabian Lemieux Award in his memory, an award that recognizes arts educators who have encouraged arts education in schools, colleges, and universities.

Lois Lake Gold Mines Limited

  • NUCCASC-AR0058
  • Corporate body
  • 1934-[19--]

Lois Lake Gold Mines Limited was a mining company in the Kirkland Lake area. Incorporated in April 1934, the company had its head office in Kirkland Lake and property consisting of 15 claims over 600 acres in Teck Township in the Kirkland Lake area.

Loyal Orange County Lodge of Nipissing East

  • NUCCASC-AR0029
  • Corporate body
  • 1893-1997

The Loyal Orange County Lodge of Nipissing East was a county lodge of the Orange Order, a Protestant fraternal organization, with jurisdiction over Orange lodges in the present-day District of Nipissing and the District of Parry Sound. Founded at a meeting in North Bay on 25 April 1893, the County Lodge provided leadership to the district and primary lodges in its jurisdiction and reported to the Grand Lodge of Ontario West (one of the provincial lodges of the Grand Orange Lodge of Canada).

The Orange Order's County of Nipissing East incorporated the areas to the north, south, and east of Lake Nipissing which covered much of the present-day District of Nipissing and District of Parry Sound. Its boundaries extended to Eau Claire in the east, Cache Bay in the west, Spence in the south, and Redbridge in the north. Originally, the County Lodge's jurisdiction stretched even further to the east; at its founding in 1893, it included primary lodges No. 1055 (Warren), No. 1088 (Sudbury), No. 1100 (Webbwood), and No. 1283 (Copper Cliff), which were later removed to another county's jurisdiction.

The Loyal Orange County Lodge of Nipissing East contained three subordinate district lodges established in 1911: Loyal Orange District Lodge D.83 (District of North Nipissing), Loyal Orange District Lodge D. 84 (District of South Nipissing), and the Loyal Orange District Lodge of Nipissing East. These districts contained 24 primary (local) lodges, from which the County Lodge's members were drawn and which took turns hosting the semi-annual county lodge meetings. After a long decline in membership, the County Lodge was disbanded on December 15, 1997 at the decision of the Grand Orange Lodge of Ontario West.

Loyal Orange District Lodge D.83 (District of North Nipissing)

  • NUCCASC-AR0028
  • Corporate body
  • 1911-1969

Loyal Orange District Lodge D.83 (District of North Nipissing) was a district lodge of the Orange Order, a Protestant fraternal organization, which had jurisdiction over primary (local) lodges in the present-day Nipissing District. The District Lodge was founded in 1911 following a resolution by the Loyal Orange County Lodge of Nipissing East to establish three district lodges for the North, South, and East Nipissing areas.

District Lodge D. 83 had jurisdiction over the Orange Order's District of North Nipissing, which covered the area immediately to the north of Lake Nipissing and along the Mattawa River, stretching from Cache Bay at its western boundary to Eau Claire in the east. The following primary (local) lodges were under the jurisdiction of District Lodge D.83: Loyal Orange Lodge No. 876 (North Bay), No. 1070 (Cache Bay), No. 1682 (Four Mile Lake), No. 1709 (Sturgeon Falls), No. 2104 (Rutherglen), No. 2189 (North Bay), No. 2287 (Eau Claire), and No. 2992 (Redbridge). The membership of the District Lodge was made up of Orangemen from its primary lodges, and the Lodge's annual meetings were held in North Bay or other communities within the District. After a long decline in the membership of its primary lodges, District Lodge D.83 was officially dissolved on April 21, 1969.

Loyal Orange District Lodge D.84 (District of South Nipissing)

  • NUCCASC-AR0030
  • Corporate body
  • 1911-[19--]

Loyal Orange District Lodge D.84 (District of South Nipissing) was a district lodge of the Orange Order, a Protestant fraternal organization, which had jurisdiction over primary (local) lodges in the present-day Parry Sound District. The District Lodge was founded in 1911 following a resolution by the Loyal Orange County Lodge of Nipissing East to establish three district lodges for the North, South, and East Nipissing areas.

District Lodge D. 84 had jurisdiction over the Orange Order's District of Nipissing South, which generally covered the area between South River at the north and Spence to the south (with Whitney an outlier to the east).The following primary (local) lodges were under the jurisdiction of Loyal Orange District Lodge D.84 (District of South Nipissing): Loyal Orange Lodge No. 502 (Magnetawan), No. 799 (Spence), No. 1026 (Strong), No. 1108 (South River), No. 1157 (Sundridge), No. 1268 (Whitney), and No. 2260 (Clover Hill). It is unknown when District Lodge D. 84 disbanded.

Loyal Orange District Lodge of Nipissing East

  • NUCCASC-AR0031
  • Corporate body
  • 1911-[after 1968]

The Loyal Orange District Lodge of Nipissing East was a district lodge of the Orange Order, a Protestant fraternal organization, which had jurisdiction over primary (local) lodges in the present-day Parry Sound District. The District Lodge was founded in 1911 following a resolution by the Loyal Orange County Lodge of Nipissing East to establish three district lodges for the North, South, and East Nipissing areas.

The District Lodge had jurisdiction over the Orange Order's District of Nipissing East, which covered the area to the south and east of Lake Nipissing, from Arnstein at its western boundary to Chisholm in the east, and from Callander in the north to Trout Creek in the south. The following primary (local) lodges were under the jurisdiction of the Loyal Orange District Lodge of Nipissing East: Loyal Orange Lodge No. 429 (Callander), No. 758 (Powassan), No. 812 (Nipissing), No. 1172 (Trout Creek), No. 1323 (Chisholm), No. 1938 (Restoule), No. 2888 (Golden Valley), and No. 3015 (Arnstein). The membership of the District Lodge was made up of Orangemen from its primary lodges, who took turns hosting the Lodge's annual meetings. It is unknown when the District Lodge was disbanded.

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 1323 (Chisholm)

  • NUCCASC-AR0022
  • Corporate body
  • [before 1958]-[after 1984]

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 1323 was a Protestant fraternal organization in Chisholm, Ontario. A primary (or local) lodge of the Orange Order, it is unknown when Lodge No. 1323 was established and disbanded. Orange Order lodges provided their members with social events and mutual aid, and had a Masonic-style organizational structure and system of degrees.

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 1682 (Four Mile Lake)

  • NUCCASC-AR0026
  • Corporate body
  • 1929?-1975?

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 1682 was a Protestant fraternal organization at Four Mile Lake in North Bay, Ontario. Lodges of the Orange Order provided social events and mutual aid to their members, and had a Masonic-style organizational structure and system of degrees. It is unknown exactly when Loyal Orange Lodge No. 1682 was founded or disbanded.

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 2992 (Redbridge)

  • NUCCASC-AR0018
  • Corporate body
  • 1925?-1942?

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 2992 was a Protestant fraternal organization in Redbridge, Ontario. Lodges of the Orange Order provided social events and mutual aid to their members, and had a Masonic-style organizational structure and system of degrees. It is unknown when Lodge No. 2992 was dissolved, but its last records date to 1942.

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 758 (Powassan)

  • NUCCASC-AR0021
  • Corporate body
  • 1889?-[after 1958]

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 758 was a Protestant fraternal organization in Powassan, Ontario. A primary (or local) lodge of the Orange Order, it is unknown exactly when Lodge No. 758 was first established. Orange Order lodges provided their members with social events and mutual aid, and had a Masonic-style organizational structure and system of degrees. It is unknown when Lodge No. 758 was disbanded, though an annual return indicates that it was still active with 10 members at the end of 1957.

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 876 (North Bay)

  • NUCCASC-AR0017
  • Corporate body
  • 1888-1999?

Loyal Orange Lodge No. 876 was a Protestant fraternal organization in North Bay, Ontario. A primary (or local) lodge of the Orange Order, Lodge No. 876 was the first to be established in North Bay, receiving its warrant from the Loyal Orange Institution of British North America on March 15, 1888. Lodges of the Orange Order provided social events and mutual aid to their members, and had a Masonic-style organizational structure and system of degrees. Active for over one hundred years, Lodge No. 876 was dissolved around 1999 after a long decline in membership.

Mauro, Isabel

  • NUCCASC-AR0007
  • Person
  • 1922-

Isabel Mauro, born Isabel May McDonald, was a student from North Bay, Ontario who attended North Bay Normal School in 1940-1941. From her teacher's day books, it appears that Mauro may have worked as a teacher in Eau Claire, Ontario following her graduation.

Mauro, Rudy

  • NUCCASC-AR0065
  • Person
  • [19--]-

McCarthy, John R.

  • NUCCASC-AR0070
  • Person
  • [19--]-

John R. McCarthy was Ontario's Deputy Minister of Education from 1967 to 1971.

Nettlefold, Brian

  • NUCCASC-AR0074
  • Person
  • [1946]-

Brian Nettlefold was Executive Director of Library Services at Nipissing University and head of the Education Centre Library.

Nipissing University

  • NUCCASC-AR0014
  • Corporate body
  • 1967-

Nipissing University is a public liberal arts university with its main campus in North Bay, Ontario. Although the University received its charter in 1992, it grew directly out of Nipissing College, a liberal arts college affiliated with Laurentian University of Sudbury that was established in North Bay in 1967. Nipissing College was the result of a nearly decade-long campaign to establish a junior university in North Bay, which began in 1959 with the work of the Northeastern University Committee, which incorporated in 1960 as Northeastern University. The new corporation was, however, unsuccessful in being granted a university charter, its application being denied by the Ontario Department of Education on January 28, 1961. Without a charter, Northeastern University was unable to grant degrees or receive funding, and was only able to provide night extension classes taught by Laurentian University professors, starting in 1962. On 18 February 1967, Northeastern University signed an affiliation agreement with Laurentian University and changed its name on April 4, 1967 to Nipissing College, as an affiliation between two universities was not allowed.

Seven teaching faculty, including Principal (later President) George Zytaruk, were hired before Nipissing College's first academic term began in fall 1967. Under the terms of the affiliation agreement, Nipissing College initially provided a small selection of General Arts courses, which were congruent with Laurentian University's academic curriculum and were intended to provide students with their first year courses before they transferred elsewhere to complete their degrees.

Over the years, Nipissing College grew in size and the range of academic programs it offered. In 1992, the Nipissing University Act established Nipissing University as an independent, degree-granting university, ending its affiliation with Laurentian University.

From 1967 to 1972, Nipissing College operated out of Cassellholme, a former retirement home at 1880 Cassells Street in North Bay. In fall 1972, the College relocated to the brand new College Education Centre on Gormanville Road, a purpose-built, multi-college campus that originally housed four local colleges: Nipissing College, Cambrian College (later renamed Canadore College), Saint Joseph's School of Nursing, and the North Bay Teachers' College. Today, the College Education Centre (current address 100 College Drive) continues to serve as the North Bay campus of Nipissing University and Canadore College. The University also has satellite campuses in Bracebridge (opened in 1996) and Brantford (opened in 2002), where it operates a joint program in teacher education with Wilfred Laurier University, although the cancellation of the program was announced in December 2014.

Nipissing University Association

  • NUCCASC-AR0080
  • Corporate body
  • [1972?]-[1974?]

The Nipissing University Association was an organization open to students and the public which was intended to promote fundraising for the university and improve relations with the local community. It later became the Nipissing University Alumni Association (?).

Nipissing University Student Union

  • NUCCASC-AR0077
  • Corporate body
  • [197-]-

The Nipissing University Student Union is a student organization at Nipissing University.

Results 1 to 50 of 84