Northeastern University

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Northeastern University

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1960-1967

History

Northeastern University was a nascent institution of higher learning in North Bay which later became Nipissing College. In 1959, the Northeastern University Committee, a volunteer organization founded in North Bay to advocate for the establishment of a local junior university, decided to incorporate in order to be eligible to apply for a university charter. Northeastern University was officially incorporated under letters patent on 9 June 1960, with the members and Executive Council of Northeastern University Committee transferring to the new corporation.

In 1960-1961, Northeastern University offered first year university courses in Arts, Science, and Commerce at North Bay College (a Catholic boys' high school in North Bay, also known as Scollard Hall) through an agreement with the Congregation of the Resurrection, the religious order that ran the school. This arrangement lasted only one year, however, before the Congregation of the Resurrection decided to cancel the partnership.

The establishment of Laurentian University in Sudbury in 1960 was a major setback for Northeastern University, and its application to the Ontario Ministry of Education for a degree-granting university charter was subsequently denied on February 28, 1961. In response, Northeastern began exploring the possibility of affiliation with Laurentian University, which would enable university courses to be offered in North Bay. In the meantime, Northeastern University leased Cassellholme Home for the Aged, a former retirement home on Cassells Street, and arranged for Laurentian University professors to teach extension night classes there starting in 1962. In February 1967, Northeastern University signed an affiliation agreement with Laurentian University, clearing the way for a wider program of courses to be offered in North Bay and for teaching faculty to be hired. As an affiliation agreement between two universities was not allowed, Northeastern University officially changed its name to Nipissing College under supplementary letters patent on April 4, 1967

Places

North Bay, Ont. (1960-1967)

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Letters patent of Northeastern University [From file "Northeastern University charter, supplementary letters patent, and affiliation agreement" (CA ON00408 F028-0114-09), J. W. Trusler fonds, Nipissing University and Canadore College Archives and Special Collections].

Internal structures/genealogy

Northeastern University was governed by a Board of Directors and an Executive Council chaired by J.W. Trusler.

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Sobisch, Father Ted (1916-1987)

Identifier of the related entity

NUCCASC-AR0044

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

1960?-1966

Description of relationship

Father Ted Sobisch was a member of the Executive Council of Northeastern University.

Related entity

Brown, Herb ([192-]-2015)

Identifier of the related entity

NUCCASC-AR0036

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

1960-1967

Description of relationship

Herb Brown was Secretary of the Executive Council of Northeastern University and a founding member of the University's Board of Directors.

Related entity

Follis, Ernie ([19--]-[196-])

Identifier of the related entity

NUCCASC-AR0037

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

1960-1961

Description of relationship

Ernie Follis served on Northeastern University's Executive Council and was a founding member of the University's Board of Directors.

Related entity

Trusler, J. W. (1898-1975)

Identifier of the related entity

NUCCASC-AR0034

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

1960-1967

Description of relationship

J. W. Trusler was Chairman of the Executive Council of Northeastern University and a founding member of the University's Board of Directors.

Related entity

Northeastern University Committee (1959-1960)

Identifier of the related entity

NUCCASC-AR0035

Category of the relationship

temporal

Type of relationship

Northeastern University Committee is the predecessor of Northeastern University

Dates of the relationship

June 9, 1960

Description of relationship

The Northeastern University Committee was succeeded by Northeastern University when it was issued letters patent on June 9, 1960. The Committee's membership and Executive Council transferring to the new corporation.

Related entity

Nipissing University (1967-)

Identifier of the related entity

NUCCASC-AR0014

Category of the relationship

temporal

Type of relationship

Nipissing University is the successor of Northeastern University

Dates of the relationship

April 4, 1967

Description of relationship

Northeastern University was renamed Nipissing College on April 4, 1967 with the issuing of supplementary letters patent.

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

NUCCASC-AR0042

Institution identifier

Nipissing University and Canadore College Archives and Special Collections

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created March 18, 2015 by Peter Houston

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC