Type of entity
Authorized form of name
North Bay Community Concert Association
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The North Bay Community Concert Association was a volunteer organization which organized regular concert series of professional live music in North Bay. Founded in 1943, the Association was one of many such community concert associations in Canada and the US which organized concerts through a partnership with the New York-based booking agency Columbia Artists Management Incorporated and its subsidiaries. Community concert associations would hold annual membership campaigns, requiring members to purchase prepaid subscriptions to the year’s concerts. With the funds raised, the associations would rent a concert venue and book artists through Columbia Artists Management Incorporated, which was responsible for making all other concert arrangements and for providing pre-printed concert programs and publicity material. This “organized audience” program allowed volunteer groups in smaller cities and towns to engage major Canadian and international artists for local concerts which would not otherwise have been financially viable.
The North Bay Community Concert Association usually sponsored four members-only concerts each year, predominantly featuring classical music, but occasionally folk music, musical theatre, and dance. Some of the more well-known artists who performed in North Bay included the Von Trapp Family Singers, de Paur’s Infantry Chorus, the baritone Todd Duncan, contralto Portia White, soprano Camilla Williams, and pianist Lillian Kallir. Local musicians were only rarely featured. At its peak in the 1960s and 1970s, the Association had between 1000 and 1500 members. Concerts were held in the auditorium of North Bay Collegiate Institute and Vocational School (later renamed Algonquin Composite) until 1959, when they were moved to the Capitol Theatre. In 1980, the Theatre’s owner cancelled their agreement with the Association, forcing it to move the concerts to the auditorium of West Ferris Secondary School, which did not prove adequate. Faced with a lack of a proper venue together with a dwindling membership, the Association voted to disband on 10 September 1984.
North Bay, Ont. (1943-1984)
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
The North Bay Community Concert Association had a large general membership of concert-goers who became members through the purchase of a pre-paid concert series subscription during the annual membership campaign. The Association was headed by a directorate (sometimes referred to as the Board of Directors) and an executive, which managed affairs on behalf of the general membership. The directorate was made up of 6 to 18 members elected by the general membership, and the executive consisted of the following elected officers: President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Campaign Chairperson, Membership Chairperson, and officers responsible for concert presentation, publicity, transportation, and social events. An annual general meeting was held once a year, usually in the spring after the concert series had ended, during which the general membership elected the executive and directorate.
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Rules for Archival Description (2008)
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created January 15, 2015 by Peter Houston
The Canadian Encyclopedia. "Community Concert Associations." Accessed January 16, 2015. http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/community-concert-associations-emc/