Northeastern University Committee

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Northeastern University Committee

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • NEUC

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1959-1960

History

The Northeastern University Committee was a volunteer organization that advocated for the establishment of a junior university in North Bay. In March 1958, a committee was set up by the North Bay Chamber of Commerce that included representatives from the municipal councils of North Bay, Ferris, and Widdifield, as well as from local organizations. The committee built on the efforts of an earlier committee in 1947 that had also investigated the possibility of founding a university in North Bay.

In September 1958, the committee received a proposal from the Congregation of the Resurrection, a local religious order, offering funds, teaching staff, and facilities for the provision of first year university courses at North Bay College (a Catholic boy’s high school, also known as Scollard Hall) until a proper university campus could be established. The committee accepted the offer and pledged to establish an advisory board known as the Northeastern University Committee, which had its inaugural meeting on February 18, 1959. The Committee had an initial membership of 114 men and women, who were drawn from various religious, educational, professional, and cultural backgrounds and represented the area of northeastern Ontario that the proposed new university would serve, an area bounded by Timmins, Capreol, Bracebridge, and Mattawa. The Committee worked to establish either a non-denominational university or a federated university (with a non-denominational board of governors) made up of multiple denominational colleges, this federated structure being inspired by that of the Universities of Toronto, Waterloo, and Windsor.

The Committee decided to incorporate in order to be eligible to apply for a university charter. On June 9, 1960 Northeastern University was officially incorporated under letters patent, and the members and Executive Council of the Northeastern University Committee transferred to the new corporation.

Places

North Bay, Ont.

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

"The constitution and by-laws of the Northeastern University Committee." From file "Constitution & by-laws of the Northeastern Univ[ersity] Comm[ittee]" (CA ON00408 F028-0114-08), J.W. Trusler fonds, Nipissing University and Canadore College Archives and Special Collections.

Internal structures/genealogy

According to its constitution, the Northeastern University Committee had a maximum general membership of 150 and an Executive Council of twenty members, which was elected by the general membership and maintained sub-committees including Recognition, Education, Finance, Legislation, Public Relations, Striking, Membership, and Library. The Executive Council's Chairman was J. W. Trusler and its Secretary was Herb Brown.

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Follis, Ernie ([19--]-[196-])

Identifier of the related entity

NUCCASC-AR0037

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

1959-1960

Description of relationship

Ernie Follis was a member of the Executive Council of the Northeastern University Committee.

Related entity

Trusler, J. W. (1898-1975)

Identifier of the related entity

NUCCASC-AR0034

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

1959-1960

Description of relationship

J. W. Trusler was the Chairman of the Executive Council of the Northeastern University Committee.

Related entity

Brown, Herb ([192-]-2015)

Identifier of the related entity

NUCCASC-AR0036

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

1958-1960

Description of relationship

Herb Brown was Secretary of the Executive Council of the Northeastern University Committee.

Related entity

Northeastern University (1960-1967)

Identifier of the related entity

NUCCASC-AR0042

Category of the relationship

temporal

Type of relationship

Northeastern University is the successor of Northeastern University Committee

Dates of the relationship

June 9, 1960

Description of relationship

The Northeastern University Committee was succeeded by Northeastern University when it was issued letters patent on June 9, 1960. The Committee's membership and Executive Council transferring to the new corporation.

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

NUCCASC-AR0035

Institution identifier

Nipissing University and Canadore College Archives and Special Collections

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created March 10, 2015 by Peter Houston

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

J.W. Trusler, Chairman of the Northeastern University Committee, to J.W. Spooner, Minister of Lands and Forests. February 19, 1959. File 0044-08.

The university problem in Northern Ontario and the part being played by the Northeastern University Committee in solving that problem. [1959?]. File 0044-08.

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC