North Bay Teachers' College

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

North Bay Teachers' College

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • North Bay Normal School (1909-1953)

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1909-1973

History

North Bay Teachers’ College was a training school for teachers in North Bay, Ontario. The college was founded in 1909 and was originally called the North Bay Normal School (the name derives from the teaching “norms” or standards upon which education was based at the time). The North Bay Normal School was the seventh normal school to be established in the province, and the first and only school to be established in Northern Ontario. Through the completion of a one-year course at the school, students (mostly recent high school graduates) could become qualified teachers. The school was located in downtown North Bay at 168 First Avenue West in a two-storey brick building, and was initially headed by A.C. Casselman, principal from 1909 to 1930.

In 1953, the North Bay Normal School was renamed North Bay Teachers' College after a decision by the Department of Education to rename the normal schools to better reflect their purpose as institutions for the professional education of teachers. In September 1972 the college moved from its downtown location to the College Education Centre (today Nipissing University and Canadore College's North Bay campus), which had just been built to house it and three other local colleges: Nipissing College, Canadore College, and Saint Joseph's School of Nursing.

On 1 September 1973, North Bay Teachers' College was formally integrated into Nipissing University College, becoming the new Faculty of Education and ceasing operation as an independent institution.

Places

North Bay, Ont. (1909-1973)

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Nipissing University. Schulich School of Education (1973-)

Identifier of the related entity

NUCCASC-AR0006

Category of the relationship

temporal

Dates of the relationship

1973

Description of relationship

In 1973, North Bay Teachers' College was integrated into Nipissing College, becoming the Faculty of Education.

Related entity

Elizabeth Thorn (1930-2002)

Identifier of the related entity

NUCCASC-AR0051

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

1960-1973

Description of relationship

Elizabeth Thorn was a Teaching Master at North Bay Teachers' College.

Related entity

Junior Red Cross (North Bay Teachers' College) ([192-]-[after 1956])

Identifier of the related entity

NUCCASC-AR0011

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

[192-]-[after 1956]

Description of relationship

North Bay Teachers' College hosted a branch of the Junior Red Cross, the membership of which was drawn from the college's student body.

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

NUCCASC-AR0005

Institution identifier

Nipissing University and Canadore College Archives and Special Collections

Rules and/or conventions used

Rules for Archival Description (2008)

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created October 1, 2014 by Peter Houston

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Ontario Department of Education, Calendar of Teachers' Colleges, 1965-1966 - Circular 600 (July 1965), 6.

Walford Reeves, "Hundreds Gather for Jubilee - Joyous Event at Teachers' College Here," The Daily Nugget, October 3, 1959, 1, 13.

Sue Steinburgh, "N. Bay Teachers' College merges with Nipissing," North Bay Nugget, August 3, 1973, 1.

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC