North Bay Teachers' College

Zone d'identification

Type d'entité

Collectivité

Forme autorisée du nom

North Bay Teachers' College

Forme(s) parallèle(s) du nom

Forme(s) du nom normalisée(s) selon d'autres conventions

Autre(s) forme(s) du nom

  • North Bay Normal School (1909-1953)

Numéro d'immatriculation des collectivités

Zone de description

Dates d'existence

1909-1973

Historique

North Bay Teachers’ College was a training school for teachers in North Bay, Ontario. The college was founded in 1909 and was originally called the North Bay Normal School (the name derives from the teaching “norms” or standards upon which education was based at the time). The North Bay Normal School was the seventh normal school to be established in the province, and the first and only school to be established in Northern Ontario. Through the completion of a one-year course at the school, students (mostly recent high school graduates) could become qualified teachers. The school was located in downtown North Bay at 168 First Avenue West in a two-storey brick building, and was initially headed by A.C. Casselman, principal from 1909 to 1930.

In 1953, the North Bay Normal School was renamed North Bay Teachers' College after a decision by the Department of Education to rename the normal schools to better reflect their purpose as institutions for the professional education of teachers. In September 1972 the college moved from its downtown location to the College Education Centre (today Nipissing University and Canadore College's North Bay campus), which had just been built to house it and three other local colleges: Nipissing College, Canadore College, and Saint Joseph's School of Nursing.

On 1 September 1973, North Bay Teachers' College was formally integrated into Nipissing University College, becoming the new Faculty of Education and ceasing operation as an independent institution.

Lieux

North Bay, Ont. (1909-1973)

Statut juridique

Fonctions et activités

Textes de référence

Organisation interne/Généalogie

Contexte général

Zone des relations

Entité associée

Nipissing University. Schulich School of Education (1973-)

Identifiant de l'entité associée

NUCCASC-AR0006

Type de la relation

temporelle

Dates de la relation

1973

Description de la relation

Entité associée

Elizabeth Thorn (1930-2002)

Identifiant de l'entité associée

NUCCASC-AR0051

Type de la relation

d'association

Dates de la relation

1960 - 1973

Description de la relation

Entité associée

Junior Red Cross (North Bay Teachers' College) ([192-]-[after 1956])

Identifiant de l'entité associée

NUCCASC-AR0011

Type de la relation

d'association

Dates de la relation

192 - 1956

Description de la relation

Zone des points d'accès

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Occupations

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la notice d'autorité

NUCCASC-AR0005

Identifiant du service d'archives

Nipissing University and Canadore College Archives and Special Collections

Règles et/ou conventions utilisées

Rules for Archival Description (2008)

Statut

Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Created October 1, 2014 by Peter Houston

Langue(s)

  • anglais

Écriture(s)

Sources

Ontario Department of Education, Calendar of Teachers' Colleges, 1965-1966 - Circular 600 (July 1965), 6.

Walford Reeves, "Hundreds Gather for Jubilee - Joyous Event at Teachers' College Here," The Daily Nugget, October 3, 1959, 1, 13.

Sue Steinburgh, "N. Bay Teachers' College merges with Nipissing," North Bay Nugget, August 3, 1973, 1.

Notes relatives à la mise à jour de la notice

  • Presse-papier

  • Exporter

  • EAC

Sujets associés

Lieux associés